Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

Hi all,

I am in the market for an a field optic/shooting rest of sorts. Preferably a do all situation to keep pack loads light, and would appreciate hearing from peoples experiences in the field.
    Glassed up a solid buck last year during November, but blew my opportunity for a clear view due to buck fever and the shakes (fairly new self taught hunter). Just couldn't get my binos settled and confirm the 4th sticker or not so I watched him wander off.

Currently looked at the vortex tripods online but have heard they are somewhat flimsy. Seems they have a new line out although quite pricey - im ok with that, kinda of a buy once cry once person if worth it.
    Not huge on a rifle mounted bipod due to weight and imbalance when in timber
    Was looking at the primus shooting sticks, but have heard the trigger freezes in cold temps.

Anyone have a reliable favorite that they would recommend checking out? Or any major pro's/con's?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shooting sticks / tripods / bipods

I have a digi manfrotto that it quite light and pretty stable. it's old but still work for me. i also made my own DIY gun rest out of some pvc and soft rubber that clips into the tripod like the spotter.

Get a extendable hiking pole. Cabelas, comes with a fork type top as well as the regular round one. Serves two purposes..
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

BogPod
    You will not regret it!

I use a Sirui tripod and VA-5 head with an outdoorsman adapter for my binos. If I can't find a rest or shoot of my pack I can shoot off the tripod as is. That being said I have wanted to add a shooting yoke to my tripod for more control.

The tripod is quite light but sturdy enough for the weight. I would go with something a bit stouter next time.

Would highly recommend the outdoorsman bino adapter. Glassing with your binos off a tripod is a game changer.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Thanks for the responses. The more I think of it I like the walking/shooting stick idea and have a proper tripod for the binos/ future spotter. Ill look up the ones mentioned
    Cheers

I have a field optics research carbon tripod that I can mount my rifle onto the head. Small rail adapter on stock makes it a nice way to shoot. Two legs unscrew for walking sticks when need be, and can still use a single leg in a pinch when needed to shoot from. Light to carry as it is under 3 lbs yet capacity is 35 lbs. FT 6229 is the model.
    Nightforce also has one similar, but more $$.

Those look really slick. Did you have to order from states? Quick look seems thats the only option.

Have been through the same decision process over the past 5 years, this is what I learned.

For ranges out to 100 yards or so a single stick can be a big help. Not all shooting sticks can bear your weight as walking sticks.

Bipods or a secured pair of walking sticks provide stability from 200 to 300 yards, depending on your setup. Anything shorter than a sitting height bipod is kind of useless unless you are on a range, bald prairie or above in the alpine or sub alpine, as brush obscures your vision in a prone position.

Tripods like the Bogpod give you increased stability for longer shots. Take a little longer to set up, but you likely will have more time if the game is beyond 200 yards.

I have evolved to using a pair of adjustable hiking sticks the past couple of years. I use them as a shooting bipod setup by binding them together with a rubber strap at the top. This provided a very stable shooting rest for me in a sitting position out to 250 yards this past fall. The hiking poles are extremely useful for getting up and down slopes, so I have them with me anyway. Lighter than my Bogpod and longer and more versatile than my sitting height Harris Bipod. There is a brand of hiking pole that comes with a screw in rifle yoke. Can be used as a binocular rest also.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Phila; 02-01-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Spartan is coming out with a new tripod with a center column that works for your rifle and optics called the"ascent" supposed to be out soon. But it's a do it all tripod where you can remove the legs for trekking poles as well. https://javelinbipod.com/collections.../ascent-tripod definitely pricey though $$$$$