Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Spotting scopes

Re: Spotting scopes

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Not everyone brings home the same pay cheque. You have to work within your own personal budget.
    I would consider myself serious hunter. It is pretty much all I think about. I hunted about 70 days last season. I spend what I can justify. I have made upgrades to all my gear since I started hunting. I don’t mind doing it. As you use your gear you get to know what you like and don’t like. So when you do upgrade you know what you are after. That goes for optics, rifles, packs, boots....etc, etc. One thing I’ve learned is there is always a satisfied feeling when you make that upgrade. It’s fun to do! It’s a natural progression.
    I am running with Nikon Monarch 7 binos and the Vortex Viper 15-45x65 spotter. I am satisfied with both and use the hell out of both. They are likely not the last of either of these that I will own.
    One thing I will offer as advice is don’t buy an entry level spotting scope. They don’t do what you want them to. You’ll only be frustrated with it.
    Well put! This is good advice for anyone starting out.

"Buy once cry once" is a pile of sh** when one needs to apply it to their binos, scope, spotter, range finder, rifle, tent, pack and a million other things in life not hunting related.

Most sensible people draw a line and upgrade as they go along if they decide to get more serious about the sport/hobby/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

"Buy once cry once" is a pile of sh** when one needs to apply it to their binos, scope, spotter, range finder, rifle, tent, pack and a million other things in life not hunting related.

Most sensible people draw a line and upgrade as they go along if they decide to get more serious about the sport/hobby/whatever.
    All good points. Think of all the hunters out there who have to decide how much gas they can afford to spend on a given trip. Particularly people who are raising families or who are underemployed.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

id try and at least start with vortex razors you will be upgrading them however after you look through a leica or swarvo. my leica spotter get packed with me everywhere i go as i like to use my phone scope and take pics while im out. and id have to disagree with twoSevonO on a few things. binos... you get what you pay for. ive had vortex diamond backs. there ok. just ok. they need to be sent in for warranty but thats what you pay for with vortex. range finder is another thing where you get what you pay for. lower end stuff might not be able to read properly or accurately at X amount of distances. the glass not as crisp at top of the line. rifle optics... sure buy what you can afford but don't get mad when your reticle moves inside the tube on your 300$ scope or it never returns to zero, and so on. sure you can make due but why risk it especially if your mountain hunting. rifle. yea i agree completely with that one you don't need to spend 1000's of dollars on one most production rifles will shoot someone decent especially with a bedding job. its like a vehicle does someone need a lifted Denali when a rusted out S10 will get you to the same place. lol
    Last edited by madcalfe; 02-07-2021 at 11:47 AM.

yep, couldn't agree more. I don't know to many guys that use the old "buy once cry once" crap that haven't had to make due with lesser quality equipment before they were able to buy top of the line.

By all means, buy the best you can afford. Very unlikely you'll ever hear a guy with a Swaro spotter say he regretted his decision to buy it. But there are some other good spotter options out there that will get the job done just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    id try and at least start with vortex razors you will be upgrading them however after you look through a leica or swarvo. my leica spotter get packed with me everywhere i go as i like to use my phone scope and take pics while im out. and id have to disagree with twoSevonO on a few things. binos... you get what you pay for. ive had vortex diamond backs. there ok. just ok. they need to be sent in for warranty but thats what you pay for with vortex. range finder is another thing where you get what you pay for. lower end stuff might not be able to read properly or accurately at X amount of distances. the glass not as crisp at top of the line. rifle optics... sure buy what you can afford but don't get mad when your reticle moves inside the tube on your 300$ scope or it never returns to zero, and so on. sure you can make due but why risk it especially if your mountain hunting. rifle. yea i agree completely with that one you don't need to spend 1000's of dollars on one most production rifles will shoot someone decent especially with a bedding job. its like a vehicle does someone need a lifted Denali when a rusted out S10 will get you to the same place. lol
    We have covered all of this already. No one said to go buy vortex diamondback binoculars if you are in a position to get something better.

And for the love of god .... there is no such thing as SWARVO!!!

Stop saying that, people. SWARVO is not a thing. The only short hand for Swarovski can be SWARO or SWAROV. In no way, shape or form is the V before the O!!!

We have covered all of this already. No one said to go buy vortex diamondback binoculars if you are in a position to get something better.

Stop saying that, people. SWARVO is not a thing. The only short hand for Swarovski can be SWARO or SWAROV. In no way, shape or form is the V before the O!!!
    Did you not get your coffee this morning??

I would say purchasing the best you can afford is good advice. However the buy once cry once is a real thing. I am sure many people on here can attest to buying multiple pieces equipment many times over.

Bottom line, everyone has their own view of what is important to them and what quality gear they want to run. Buy the best you can afford and go have fun!
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Lol, I'd like to start a new shortened version of Vortex.

Vorx! I'll be using it regularly till it becomes popular.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Theres different ways to skin a cat, if a guy doesn’t mind buying something entry level to start with and maybe even a second time.....then like you say if he gets serious can always sell and move up.....or save up for something better to start with, I think guys that have gone that route tend to realize how important good optics are so they try to save some fellows the entry level step/s into optics by going to the “buy once cry once” theory.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    or save up for something better to start with, I think guys that have gone that route tend to realize how important good optics are so they try to save some fellows the entry level step/s into optics by going to the “buy once cry once” theory.
    BINGO!! I wish that I would have purchased my SWARVO right off the bat...would have saved me money in the long run and the difference in optical quality is well worth the extra time that it would have taken to save up!!!

'rifle
    Last edited by longrifle; 02-07-2021 at 02:09 PM.
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

Quote Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
    BINGO!! I wish that I would have purchased my SWAROV's right off the bat...would have saved me money and the difference in optical quality is well worth the extra time that it would have taken to save up!!!

'rifle
    Yes, except some guys might need to save for 5 years for a Vorx Razor. Do they hunt without binos for 5 years?