Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotting scopes

Re: Spotting scopes

Quote Originally Posted by rolllingbreakdown View Post
    So whats the difference between a bird watching spotting scope and one for hunting?
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    nothing, other than that bird watchers aren't hiking into remote areas with 50lbs of other gear, so the weight for them is not as much of a concern.
    also bird watching spotting scopes tend not to have blood smears and animal hair on them.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Krico View Post
    also bird watching spotting scopes tend not to have blood smears and animal hair on them.
    True, and I suspect they value true (accurate?) colors a bit more when looking at birds/feathers.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

There is a vortex viper on gunpost. ca right now for 850

https://www.gunpost.ca/optics/spotti...ortex-viper-hd

If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

The intended use of a spotting scope is often a variable that does not dictate the level of quality required.
    The hunter sitting behind the eyepiece for a considerable period of time will have different requirements than the shooter at a range taking five second glances at his target.
    A hunter going on a fly-in told me of his decision to buy a $2500 Swarovski due to the eye strain caused by inferior optics.
    Same with binoculars if you are going to sit behind them for an extended period of time the eyestrain will be your best indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman2 View Post
    The intended use of a spotting scope is often a variable that does not dictate the level of quality required.
    The hunter sitting behind the eyepiece for a considerable period of time will have different requirements than the shooter at a range taking five second glances at his target.
    A hunter going on a fly-in told me of his decision to buy a $2500 Swarovski due to the eye strain caused by inferior optics.
    Same with binoculars if you are going to sit behind them for an extended period of time the eyestrain will be your best indicator.
    THIS!!!!

My first ever backpack/fly in trip, I had Vortex Vipers, at the time, I had no understanding of eye strain. After spending an hour glassing, I quickly learned why spending money for good glass is key, the eye strain and headache was brutal.

After coming back, set a couple year plan to change over to all high end glass, now use Leica Geovids and a Swaro ATX spotter. Get 1 timmies coffee instead of 2 a day, pack a lunch with left overs, etc... its worth it to pony up the bucks for better glass if you're going to spend a substantial amount of time behind it.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

How exactly does a $2500 spotter reduce eye strain compared to $1500 one when most of the eye strain comes from having to look with one eye and keep one closed

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How exactly does a $2500 spotter reduce eye strain compared to $1500 one when most of the eye strain comes from having to look with one eye and keep one closed
    Edge to edge clarity has something to do with it for sure. Your brain naturally wants to see a focused image. If you are darting back between a blurry edge and a clear center you will at some point create strain.
    This is noticeable with both binos and spotters.

You are absolutely correct that one eye closed doesn't help when using spotters. I tend to lay my hat or a jacket over my other eye so I can keep both open. Takes some getting used to and honestly I don't know if it makes a difference.

I don't tent to spend a ton of time behind my the spotter. I prefer to pick country apart with binos on a tripod until I find something worth focusing in on.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Edge to edge clarity has something to do with it for sure. Your brain naturally wants to see a focused image. If you are darting back between a blurry edge and a clear center you will at some point create strain.
    This is noticeable with both binos and spotters.

You are absolutely correct that one eye closed doesn't help when using spotters. I tend to lay my hat or a jacket over my other eye so I can keep both open. Takes some getting used to and honestly I don't know if it makes a difference.

I don't tent to spend a ton of time behind my the spotter. I prefer to pick country apart with binos on a tripod until I find something worth focusing in on.
    Just like getting your legs and lungs in shape for sheep hunt, one cant expect your eyes to be any different. If you only look through a spotter 2 weeks out of the year and do it for hours on end those two weeks you will get eye strain and headaches.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    Just like getting your legs and lungs in shape for sheep hunt, one cant expect your eyes to be any different. If you only look through a spotter 2 weeks out of the year and do it for hours on end those two weeks you will get eye strain and headaches.

BHB
    ^^^^^^^^ Bingo!!!
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.