Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotting scopes

Re: Spotting scopes

In regards to Spotting scopes go for ones that specifically target use for hunting They have tolerances that many bird or like styled scopes don't meet. I'm not talking about optics but more in reliability under extreme conditions. For example tolerances for wide ranges of temperature. Some spotting scopes use geared or screw adjustment for focus some use a belt which can be affected by sub zero temperatures and can fail. also some spotting scopes may not stand up to the abuse that can happen when up in the mountains. drop it once and its done. A used good quality spotting scope designed for hunting would imo be a better fit than a new one that's not designed for tough conditions and could have issues in reliability ruggedness etc, i spend most of my hunting going after sheep and have used the same spotting scope m=for many years swarovski. Some of my hunting buddies have zeis and leopold, and one that i was impressed with for the price( new under a 1000.00) was athlon Argos . . i had a hunter on a hunt who had a celstron it tipped over not hard but it was done the inner alignment was off and really useless after that. Kinda a like having a bad set of hunting boots ruins a trip. Of course that was over 10 years ago and the product may have improved reliability since then. in closing try to find a good used spotting scope that can handle the hunt. Look around you should be able to find a used one that fits the bill for close to the money you want to spend or if new is on your mind once again check out the Athlon Argos hd 20-60x85 good scope not pricey around 900 new i think
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 02-01-2021 at 06:25 PM.

And with the above comments on strain and usage is why we get the "buy once, cry once" attitude. Save an extra year, don't buy as many coffee's, do what ever it takes to get the better optics. You will be happier in the end!

Most of these used lower end glass (vortex spotters) are from guys that bought and after a short time realize they need to spend more to get the better optics. Learn from them and buy once. It does truly last a life time.

I hear it all the time, I want to upgrade my optics because I should have spent more the first go around! You lucky to get 80% of your initial costs back selling a used optic.

Thanks guys the valuable information in this thread is going to help me out immensely. I would have never though about training my eye behind a spotting scope but makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Hey guys I am looking for some reviews on some half decent spotting scopes. I know everyone will say get the best you can afford. My budget is topping out at around $700. I have seen some good reviews of a company named Celestron does anyone have any experience with this brand or other brands that are a little more in my price range.
    Looking forward to any reviews of any decent spotters.
    Good evening OP,

Lots of good council here, I'll throw my two bits worth in too. I had a Celestron spotting scope, it was fine, especially at the range, at 100 yards, in broad daylight. The difference comes in across a valley, at last light, when you are planning the next mornings pre dawn stalk and you want to be sure that big boy is worth it. With a Leica, Zeiss, Swaro you can count the tines on a bull at low light with the Celestron, or Barska not so much. The Vortex stuff is okay until you look through one of those three. There are others but these will deliver.

I can't recall what I paid for mine but I do recall living with a Barska for two years until I plunked down the cash for my Leica. Same with bino's. I saved up for the same amount of time for my Swaro EL Range's - they are phenomenal.

If you really want to see that level of detail because your hunting is that important to you than save the money up and buy the good stuff.

BTW, the one poster who commented on less fatigue with the good stuff is absolutely right. Spend a day glassing slides for Grizzly with cheap glass and then good glass, you won't believe how different it is until you actually try it.

Start with whatever you can afford and seems reasonable to you. You don't need a racecar when you're learning to drive..... hell you might find you just need a reasonable reliable car (optics lol)

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by dru88 View Post
    Thanks guys the valuable information in this thread is going to help me out immensely. I would have never though about training my eye behind a spotting scope but makes perfect sense.
    Thus is true to a certain point, but good quality optics are just that, construction of the item, quality lenses, perfect alignment etc and thus reducing eye strain, same goes for binoculars, When I was younger I bought several pairs of cheap binos until finally a good friend insisted I buy a pair of Leica 10x42 Trinovid Binos, it hurt the wallet but not my eyes.....well I certainly knew the difference in a pair of binoculars that caused eye strain and ones that didn’t now !

The same applies to Spotting scopes.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 02-02-2021 at 02:18 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I wonder how much here is the placebo effect of buying expensive optics. I can almost guarantee a lot of you dont have eyes good enough to pick apart tiny differences between a $3000 spotter and a $1500 one. :P

"I paid more, so I can see more".

If spending $3000+ on one is your desire, that as fine. It's your money. But I wish people would stop telling others that just because you spent $3000 everything less expensive is crap.

Some people have lots of hobbies. Not everyone can/wants to have top of the line of EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    I wonder how much here is the placebo effect of buying expensive optics. I can almost guarantee a lot of you dont have eyes good enough to pick apart tiny differences between a $3000 spotter and a $1500 one. :P

"I paid more, so I can see more".

If spending $3000+ on one is your desire, that as fine. It's your money. But I wish people would stop telling others that just because you spent $3000 everything less expensive is crap.

Some people have lots of hobbies. Not everyone can/wants to have top of the line of EVERYTHING.

Partially true perhaps. What do you use?

Here is something that not everyone on a forum will understand: everyone has an opinion on any given topic. But not all of those opinions have the same value. There is a big difference in value between the “I use this because it was the best I could afford and I read a lot of reviews and other guys in the same situation as me bought this so you should buy one too to validate my opinion” and the guys who are saying “Hey I tried one of these and one of these and one of these and one of these, and THIS one was a noticeable improvement over that and that and that in this situation and under these conditions”.

The value of good optics, for the guys who actually use them effectively and properly, doesn’t have a price. Good optics weigh nothing and cost nothing in comparison to their value on a hunt.
    Now if you are a deer hunter who is happy with a spike muley every year, you probably don’t NEED a pair of EL’s and a Leica spotter.
    If you are on a sheep hunt and time is a much more valuable commodity, then it is a lot easier to justify quality optics. For the guys that are serious about their time hunting anything, optics are easier to justify.

Just need to be honest with yourself about your level of commitment and your priorities in life.

I believe that is the one I bought last year and the price is less than what I paid . The scope is great for me but I have not used it yet to count tines from far away
    Arctic Lake

Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by SBvias View Post
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !