Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just found this about wild bore

Re: just found this about wild bore

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    The so called "wild boars" in Canada are domestic pigs went feral.
    Whereas in Europe they been around probably more than a thousand years.
    Although they do some damage to farms once in a while, they seem to manage them fairly well.
    The best smoked suasage I ever had was made from wildboar and they are good to cook just about every way.
    You've obviously never been to Germany and seen the damage lol. I've hunted and shot them over there. They are a huge problem, not unlike Texas!

They are invasive there too, coming over from Russia according to locals.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 01-30-2021 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Huh? You've obviously never been to Germany and seen the damage. I've hunted and shot them over there. They are a huge problem, not unlike Texas!

They are invasive there too, coming over from Russia according to locals.
    I am not sure where they were coming from in the first place.
    I have been to Hungary, they have a pretty large population of wildboars
    and yes they do damage, but like I said, they manage it reasonably well.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Springer: it’s weird but both your pigs seem to have eaten sticks the hard way. How odd...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about if you've never been there.
    Well, not to Germany, maybe they do more damage there.
    However I know hunters come from all over Europe and overseas to hunt them in Hungary, because they have some huge boars.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.

I arrowed a Russian Wild Boar about (250 lbs) live weight at 20 yards with a 80 lb bow shooting 425 gr arrows at about 325 fps and expandable broadheads - it went thru the lungs and just came out the far side - he ran down the trail a ways - stopped then pulled that arrow out of himself with his mouth -then took off again - I tracked him to his Den in a big old log and dirt pile about 500 yards away ! I dispatched him with a head shot from a 22 . His hide was about 3/8 " thick ! The meat was good but a Bit strong - Dark Meat - Was a Fun Time - RJ

Well, not to Germany, maybe they do more damage there.
    However I know hunters come from all over Europe and overseas to hunt them in Hungary, because they have some huge boars.
    Yes I've heard the same.
    The real difference over there is that there is only brief periods when they aren't hunted. Hunters on reviers are required to harvest them due to crop damage. It isn't optional, and the revier holders can be fined large amounts if they aren't doing their 'job'.
    It's not like a 'recreational' hunt that we have here.
    The 2 most effective methods are sitting in a 'hochsitz' during a full moon with your uber large objective lensed Zeiss.
    Or driven hunts with dogs pushing them in a coordinated
    fashion towards hunters in stands.
    When I leave there it's always, 'take some boars with you'!
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 01-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Yes I've heard the same.
    The real difference over there is that there is only brief periods when they aren't hunted. Hunters on reviers are required to harvest them due to crop damage. It isn't optional, and the revier holders can be fined large amounts if they aren't doing their 'job'.
    It's not like a 'recreational' hunt that we have here.
    The 2 most effective methods are sitting in a 'hochsitz' during a full moon with your uber large objective lensed Zeiss.
    Or driven hunts with dogs pushing them in a coordinated
    fashion towards hunters in stands.
    When I leave there it's always, 'take some boars with you'!
    Yes those are the 2 methods hunting them, but I don't know what the season or how long.
    I do know local people who belong to any of the hunting clubs, can hunt them all year round.
    Man I would love to have some wildboar meat!
    Last edited by wildcatter; 01-30-2021 at 12:23 AM.
    WLM

Flush the Turd!

Yes those are the 2 methods hunting them, but I don't know what the season or how long.
    I do know local people who belong to any of the hunting clubs, can hunt them all year round.
    Saskatchewan

Hey wildcatter, Where in the Cariboo are you from. I am headed to Lac La Hache in may or June. I could try to bring a sample if theres some left by then. The meat is very lean, i was hoping it would have had more fat on it. I mixed it with my Elk from this fall . PM me closer to this time period .
    Im going to to try and brine the Hams and cook them whole.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post

Nazko highway
    Where on Nazko Hwy. I have never seen or heard of them there