Thread: Bear plans don't work - need to pivot (advice appreciated)

Bear plans don't work - need to pivot (advice appreciated)

Hey y'all. I'm brand new this year to big game hunting and have been working on getting a bear. Been out a bunch of times and had some good lessons already hunting alone. I prefer to walk, spot and stalk and bushwhack where needed. Also prefer to stay out of a sea of willows too. I've focused on cut blocks over drainages. 10 days ago 400-600m was a good elevation in Region 2. I'm in Port Coquitlam.

My plan was to boat up Pitt Lake with a bike and do some bikepacking / hunting. Problem is my new-to-me boat leaks about 2 ltrs/hr which is fine if I'm in it, but not if I leave it tied to the dock for 4 days like I was planning. From what I've read, I can't haul the boat up anywhere because of the tides. Hence the need to change plans.

I'm leaving Thursday morning and will go anywhere at this point. I'll travel through the night to avoid checkpoints if needed. I found a good spot with 6 different bears seen in 4 days but it's going to be filled with weekenders (ie. non hunting chuckleheads) which I would like to avoid.

Please advise me. I've looked for as much info as I can find. Podcasts, videos, forums, etc. I think I have a good sense for the basics (skunk cabbage, dandelions, fireweed) and now have experienced the bear I was stalking circle around me for a look...wind was swirly.

I'm kind of panicking because of the need to change plans. I appreciate any help you can give. Take good care.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bear plans don't work - need to pivot (advice appreciated)

South facing slopes don’t be shy to head up high now.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

You want to be in an area where it is wet with new Grass sprouting. Mating season for Bears is just beginning. Sows are generally in poorer habitat meaning Higher elevations then Big Boars. Best to sit out of the Wind and Glas Glas Glas. Hunt all Day even during the hottest parts from 11 AM to 2 PM.

Good Luck

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Sometimes plans don't work. This is my 46th season buying a bear tag.

Went on four multi-night hunting trips last spring season to places I have seen/taken bears before and only saw one shootable bear and blew it (pulled trigger with safety on) when I had the chance.

This year had emergency surgery three weeks ago so I'm no good until this fall now.

So it goes.

Advice? Look for green stuff right beside the road

Keep at it.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-18-2021 at 10:54 AM.

Hahaha. It's funny because it's so true. I have this inner voice trying to tell me to be patient, stay the course, I'm learning lots, it'll happen. Then there's the other side that says 'Me want bear now, grr, get meat, be good hunter!'

Hope that your recovery goes well MichelD. Bummer when plans don't work out. Hope that you're back at it this fall. Take care.

Most luck I have is doing a constant slow loop in the truck in areas that have steeper cut blocks with a drainage down low. I try and find about 3 areas that I can constantly drive slow from spot to spot and eventually end up seeing bears. I love hiking but that didn’t seem to be the best method for me

I appreciate everyone's help! I have a new plan.

It's amazing what great support exists in this forum. I've not posted until recently but have read so many others ask for help and seen others respond. It means the world to me to be part of a group like this.

I grew up hunting with my Dad and then moved to the city and haven't hunted in 27 years despite living in all kinds of great hunting spots. Held my FAC and PAL for nearly that whole time too. The things we think we can't do when we we've lost our community.

Take care out there everyone. Stay safe and sound.

Well Rainy Laker. You are experiencing what all determined hunters feel sooner or later. Sometimes you seem to do all the right things and still come up empty. And then the self guessing begins. We've all been there.

When it comes to hunting in general, there are so many variables, such as habitat, elevation, time of year just to name a few. And then there's the hunter. Everyone seems to have a different take and that's because of the aforementioned AND each hunter's individual style or preference of hunting. So with that aside, I will try to give you what has worked for me in the past as concerning bear hunting. Specifically black bear. I have had pretty good success over the decades.

In the early spring black bears tend to be where the first greenery begins. That's usually lower elevation areas, south facing lower slope areas. They like those first grasses as it helps to get there digestive system back up after not eating anything for months. In the interior that usually means for much of April. When May rolls around and especially the latter part of May even into June. Vegetation changes and the bears food requirements change as well. You won't find them much in the same areas as previously in April.

Their digestive system is now fully active and they need to put on the calories. Think dandelions. Yes the bears love and eat those yellow flowers. The nectar in flowers is a great energy food and bears love high energy food. So, I have found that in May bears can be found feeding along roadways/forest service roads, near streams and rivers, any place where there are lots of flowers, even the edges of forest/farm fields. So for May, that would be my strategy. Only later as summer warms the high areas, will they be up high. As already mentioned, they will be active all day long even right in the middle of a sunny day.

That's my take bud. Just keep on going and you will eventually be successful.
    Cheers
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!