Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saltwater Fishing from Shore

Re: Saltwater Fishing from Shore

Any stream that runs into the ocean is likely to have a salmonid run of one sort or the other and standing at the mouth of the stream below the high tide line puts you in tidal waters as far as regulations go. When the pinks are running, casting a meps or metric spinner does well with little effort, I found that a pink/red plastic egg on the hook added to production. Lighter gear made for lots of fun/excitement but most were using 15 to 20 lb test line to keep their gear loss to a minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by wetcoastwillie View Post
    In general.... sometimes I may come across as being a prick.... but I'm human.... and cant always express my views as best as I should

Quote Originally Posted by 303savage View Post
    I used to do well on the Parkville side of the mouth of Englishman's River if the tide was right. But I moved off the Island 40 plus years ago. Probable all houses now.

Folks fished there for sea-run cutthroat . . . . some nice ones.

Used to do well with cutties the on the fly at Crescent Beach.

I believe its an on year for pinks? That's probably the most prolific beach fishing around there you can get them around French creek and Qualicum Bay. Some of the local sporting goods shops might be able to dial you in a little better its usually mid summerish I believe. Coho can be caught similarly in the fall if allowed. You want gradual beaches for beach fishing salmon generally and the deeper the drop off the better for ground fish.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I’ve caught a pile of salmon from the beach over the years from Salmon Point up through Campbell River.

We spent a lot of time on Denman and Hornby Islands when I was a kid. We caught lots of coho and Lings from the rocky shore of Denman on the Hornby side of the island south of the ferry.

We've stayed with friends in Qualicum Bay the last number of years for the BC day weekend. one of the years we travelled north in the tin boat with the kids and found 8 or 9 guys fishing the mouth of Nile creek.
    Bechey head and otterpoint always have people fishing for salmon from shore. 15 years ago a friend that grew up in Gordon Head suggested we cast from shore at Gordon point. he got a 7-8 lb salmon that evening.