Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ranch Selway

Mystery Ranch Selway

First off, BCHOYT know it was frustrating but glad you got your pack. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

I've been eyeing new packs for some time. Been using my trusty old Cabelas Alaskan Frame and Tatonka Lastenkraxe bag for about 8 years now. This pack has done it all for me from backpack griz and goat hunts to elk, black bear, deer, hauling treestands etc.

My only complaints about my old pack is that under heavy loads when packing meat I just can't seem to keep the belt from slipping over my hips. That and the width of the external frame was always a bit of an issue but something I could live with.

So, just purchased a 2020 Mystery Ranch Selway with the GL MT frame. Such a nice pack. Took about 5 minutes to get the lumbar set to a comfortable length. Threw 40# in it and went for a bit of a jaunt. Super comfortable and it feels like the pack is narrow on my back which is awesome. The shoulder straps seem to contour my body and the range of motion I now have with the pack on is amazing.

Anyhow, the big issue I had when choosing a pack was I wanted one that could compress down enough for day hunts but be able to handle my 5-7 day backpack hunts. This pack is 60L and the Y zipper design makes it real easy to pack and access items at the bottom. I also ordered a MR daypack lid and it will give me another 8ish liters of room.

So I laid out all my gear for a 5 mid-late Oct goat hunt and loaded it up. No problem. Can easily stash another 2 days of food in the pack and I still have the extra room in the daypack lid.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Mystery Ranch Selway

How do you haul meat with these? Is there a shelf or do you debone and stuff it in the main compartment?

Nice one Ron!! I like the F1 in that pic too! I bought a MR Plinter last year and like it too! Great gear form MR
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    How do you haul meat with these? Is there a shelf or do you debone and stuff it in the main compartment?
    it gets placed between the fram and the pack and you tighten the straps to sandwich it

Have you put any protectant on it , very nice pack ... I have a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack and have used .. Scotch guard ... 303 ... and what they recomend .. Never Wet by Rustolem ... with a nice investment like Mystery ranch they do help abit keeping it like new ... as for actual wetness protection recommend a good pack cover .

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    like Walker said, it gets sandwiched in between the pack and frame. Shows it in this video at about minute 1:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9HBvNC8o8

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    Have you put any protectant on it , very nice pack ... I have a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack and have used .. Scotch guard ... 303 ... and what they recomend .. Never Wet by Rustolem ... with a nice investment like Mystery ranch they do help abit keeping it like new ... as for actual wetness protection recommend a good pack cover .

In the second last pic, that little green bag is my rain cover.

no, haven't put anything on it yet. My concern with the RUST-OLEUM® NeverWet® Fabric Water Repelling Spray is the residual scent it may leave. Never used this product. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I like the F1 in that pic too!
    awesome blade!!!!!!! Can dress several deer or an entire elk with it without needing to touch the blade up.

I got a metcalf this year and did some 3 day trips and packed meat in it. Great pack! I would like to get the back strap that lets you pack meat out only. You could throw your day stuff in it in a bag and not have much more width than the frame and gear. Happy hunting with it Ron.