Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Cool thread, I have lots of questions about predator hunting! Nice animals you guys have gotten so far. How is the lynx meat Kopper?

That 22CM looks like it packs quite the punch!

I was hoping to get into some predator hunting this year with a dedicated predator gun, but it might not happen before coyotes are closed for summer. Do you guys think a 30-06 would be overkill for a wolf, hoping to preserve the fur. There are 125g bullets available in Hornady and Federal cartridges. What are your thoughts?

30-06 will be fine. I would look at a monometal bullet that won't fragment, like Barnes or Hornady GMX.

Post up any questions you have, a lot of people are probably thinking the same things you are
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    Thanks TB. That’s a super good idea if one reloaded. I’d opt for the 22 WMR or even the 22LR on Lynx if the slight chance of a wolf of cougar wasn’t present.
    Ive used 53 grain tsx on bobcat and coyote at full speed from my 223. They have dropped instantly and small holes in and out. Just a little expensive.....
    Proud member of the fringe minority!

With lynx season almost closed I figured I better get on it! Got out last saturday and had a great day...sort of! Thirteen minutes into my second calling set I caught movement to my right and there he was! The big lynx had come from behind me and stepped out onto the pipeline right of way 30m away. I wasnt ready! I cocked my CZ 22WMR as quietly as I could. The cat heard the hammer cocking and had me pinned. A few seconds later it looked away to my decoy. I raised the rifle and again the lynx focused on me. He was behind some willows and I frantically searched for a hole to shoot through. He spooked and ran a few feet, stopping again. A head shot was all I had and I squeezed off a 30gr cci vnt. The cat quickly disappeared. A half hour later I gave up, finding no signs of a hit. Oh well, misses happen!
    An hour later I cut fresh tracks on a main road. I drove my truck downwind out of sight and walked back. I set up my foxpro across the main road from where the tracks went into the thick brush. Sixty yards back I set up in the ditch and got the call squawking. I decided my position was poor and moved a few feet . I settled the rifle and looked towards my decoy, seeing a lynx standing right in the middle of the road! I was caught off guard again! I quickly settled the crosshairs and touched off another 30 grainer. The lynx jumped 4 feet in the air, doing a 180 and tore off into the trees. I sent 2 more out of the semi before he disappeared. I couldnt help but grin. I wandered up and saw a tuft of hair on the road. Excellent! It was slow moving through the thick bush but 100, 200 then 300 yards following his tracks and nothing!! I lost his tracks then and did a few circles not finding anything! The next day I returned with hound dogs and they couldnt pick anything up. Guessing I grazed him? Two misses in one day. Sure had fun though!
    Just finished 9hrs out today. 50kms on the sled, 3 sets of "freshish" tracks, 8 calling sets and no action. I get home to see the wife all frantic about the lynx that was in my yard while I was gone!! I investigated the tracks and saw it was bedded just into the trees off the end of my lawn. I imagine it watched me leave my house this morning!
    Will see what tomorrow brings!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    30-06 will be fine. I would look at a monometal bullet that won't fragment, like Barnes or Hornady GMX.

Post up any questions you have, a lot of people are probably thinking the same things you are
    Okay got it. Looked online, all I can see locally is Barnes VOR-TX in 180g. Looks like an all copper bullet. Think 180g is going to carry too much energy for keeping it a usable fur?

You guys use decoys for wolves as well as coyotes? Do you notice a significant increase in your success rate using decoys for coyote hunting?

Has anyone had any luck with mouth calls vs electronic calls?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    How is the lynx meat Kopper??
    It’s actually really good. It reminds me of something in between a chicken and pork. Not gamey and easily influenced by however you cook it for flavour. For me it was more of a mind over matter thing eating a cat the first time I harvested one lol.

Cool thread, I have lots of questions about predator hunting! Nice animals you guys have gotten so far. How is the lynx meat Kopper?

That 22CM looks like it packs quite the punch!

I was hoping to get into some predator hunting this year with a dedicated predator gun, but it might not happen before coyotes are closed for summer. Do you guys think a 30-06 would be overkill for a wolf, hoping to preserve the fur. There are 125g bullets available in Hornady and Federal cartridges. What are your thoughts?
    Have shot dozens of coyotes with 25-06 , with anything from 75gr hp to 120 gr rem cor loks. The fur damage depends on if you hit bone or not ... the front shoulder will drop em but have the most fur damage . I prefer broadside ,right behind the shoulder, bang flop .

Swampthing, you had some action that's for sure! Good luck out there today

Okay got it. Looked online, all I can see locally is Barnes VOR-TX in 180g. Looks like an all copper bullet. Think 180g is going to carry too much energy for keeping it a usable fur?

You guys use decoys for wolves as well as coyotes? Do you notice a significant increase in your success rate using decoys for coyote hunting?

Has anyone had any luck with mouth calls vs electronic calls?
    Well in my opinion, the energy between different bullet weights in a 30-06 is not going to matter. A 150gr TTSX has 70 ft lbs less than the 180gr at 300 yards. The heavier bullet will be going slower at all distances. But if you hit bone, that is what will likely blow the big hole. I wouldn't worry about it, any decent taxidermist will be able to sew anything up

Decoys can help, but not required. I use them about half the time. If my son is coming with me, we use 3 haha

As for mouth calls vs E-calls, I had great success with mouth calls. They're every bit as effective, but they have challenges. You need to practice a bit to get good with them, and you're the source of sound - so expect any predator coming in to have your location pin pointed. You won't be able to get away with as much movement
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    It’s actually really good. It reminds me of something in between a chicken and pork. Not gamey and easily influenced by however you cook it for flavour. For me it was more of a mind over matter thing eating a cat the first time I harvested one lol.
    Nice! I've heard cougar is pretty good as well. Yeah I guess it's the thought of it that might make some people wary.

Okay so I guess really think about shot placement.
    Cool video todbartell. Looks like fun with the decoys.
    I'll probably try a mouth call first. Any recommendations on what to try? I know I'll have to put some practice in for sure!

Love reading these stories. Cant wait to do some predator control of my own hopefully next winter assuming my PAL arrives lol