Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now?
    I think Lynx aren't very wise to hunting pressure like a canine. I'd go back and find fresh sign and hunt that area. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How long you call for before giving up on a spot?
    Usually a minimum 20 minutes, upwards to an hour if the spot has good sign or coyotes responding vocally from distance earlier in the stand. One of my spots is not far from the truck, I keep a chair stashed and will sit for an hour. Great way to enjoy a thermos full of coffee for the last hour of the afternoon
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

^^^^you're doing awesome Tod....still no preds for me yet this year....

Thanks for posting up your trips. Good stuff.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I checked out a new spot, I haven’t hunted here in 13 years. Tried one stand on east side of property, no luck. I walked to the south west side and found some older coyote tracks. I set up with wind blowing at my back across a wide open field. I started with jack rabbit distress , on fairly high volume. Whenever the Foxpro is sitting on the snowy ground, it seems to really muffle the sound. After 12 minutes I switched the call to coyote wrestling. Lots of growling and kiyis. I heard some magpies to the south of me so I switched the call to magpie fight . Almost instantly, I hear a coyote barking to the south of me @ 500y . I switch Foxpro to coyote fight, and within a minute I spot a coyote running into the field in front of me at 300+ yards. I dialed up 1moa on the turret as I know the shot will come between 250 and 300 yards. It is out of sight in a brushy dip,as it skirts along a finger of small trees. I spot it as it appears and stops, quartering to at 280 yards. It likely would come closer, but with the wind blowing that direction, I don't take any chances. The crosshair was steady on the shoulder and I fired, WHOPP, dropping it in its tracks (22 Creedmoor 80.5gr Berger) Foxbang didn’t turn on for some reason so I switched foxpro to coyote fight max volume. Nothing else shows up in the next ten minutes so I headed over to get the dog. Female in nice shape. Was a good workout dragging her 1.5km back to the truck

Last edited by todbartell; 02-14-2021 at 11:18 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Nice Coyote.

Got a couple questions:
    What do you guys do regarding gun lubrication this time of year when the temps can drop way down?

What do you guys do when you run into fleas on a fur?

Good shootin' bartell.
    I was out almost all day on my sled.Packed a big lunch,my small saw,snowshoes.and my pipe.Didn't see any wolf tracks.Did see lots of lynx tracks,but wasn't looking for a lynx.
    Burnt almost a full tank of gas in the sled.Bucked a few trees across the trail,saw lots of country and had a good time.
    Maybe try tomorrow.

Today was the last day of Lynx season here in PG so I figured I better get out. I had some work to get done today but figured a morning hunt would be ok. I drove a favorite road close to home and looked for tracks in the fresh snow. Finding nothing I pulled out the snow shoes and wandered down a side road I had called a Lynx into a few weeks prior. I was getting bored with my first set and glanced down at my foxpro controller to see how long I had been sitting. I couldnt see the timer so I reached down to grab it. At the same time that I saw 14 minutes on the screen I caught movement! A Lynx had come in through the thick willows and saw my movement. He sat down with his gaze locked on me. I deliberately moved my hand to my rifle and picked up the Lynx in the crosshairs. Due to the willows I only had a head shot. The reticle danced all around. Lynx fever! Excellent! I calmed myself as the reticle settled. I was thinking if I missed this 55 yard shot LBM would be very disappointed in me and todbartell would surely roll his eyes at me next time I stepped into his store! The 22 mag barked and the cat dropped at the impact of the CCI 30gr vnt. I couldnt help but grin.
    https://imgur.com/LoZs2db

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I checked out a new spot, I haven’t hunted here in 13 years. Tried one stand on east side of property, no luck. I walked to the south west side and found some older coyote tracks. I set up with wind blowing at my back across a wide open field. I started with jack rabbit distress , on fairly high volume. Whenever the Foxpro is sitting on the snowy ground, it seems to really muffle the sound. After 12 minutes I switched the call to coyote wrestling. Lots of growling and kiyis. I heard some magpies to the south of me so I switched the call to magpie fight . Almost instantly, I hear a coyote barking to the south of me @ 500y . I switch Foxpro to coyote fight, and within a minute I spot a coyote running into the field in front of me at 300+ yards. I dialed up 1moa on the turret as I know the shot will come between 250 and 300 yards. It is out of sight in a brushy dip,as it skirts along a finger of small trees. I spot it as it appears and stops, quartering to at 280 yards. It likely would come closer, but with the wind blowing that direction, I don't take any chances. The crosshair was steady on the shoulder and I fired, WHOPP, dropping it in its tracks (22 Creedmoor 80.5gr Berger) Foxbang didn’t turn on for some reason so I switched foxpro to coyote fight max volume. Nothing else shows up in the next ten minutes so I headed over to get the dog. Female in nice shape. Was a good workout dragging her 1.5km back to the truck

Another good day!!