Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Official 2021 Predator Thread

Some of us beat the winter blues by heading out and hunting predators.

If you shoot a coyote this winter and want to share a picture or story, feel free to add to this thread. Any info on guns, bullets, scopes, calls, setups for calling, baiting, etc, can be asked here and maybe we can help out in any ways.

Coyotes, WOLVES, lynx, bobcats, cougars...trappers post up too!

This winter I have mainly been packing my Tikka T3x in 22 Creedmoor. The scope is a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 with first focal plane XLR reticle. Currently shooting 80.5gr Berger @ 3360 fps.

Calls, this will be my sixth season with the Foxpro Fusion. Have the SP60 external speaker for those windy days. Awesome call, I've been using Foxpro since 2005, upgraded here and there over the years. Started with the Fx3, then Fx5, then Firestorm. They make a great product. I really like the TX1000 remote on the Fusion, and the ability to play two sounds at once. I feel it really makes a difference on call shy dogs. Lots of guys are using electronic calls these days and if you can throw them something different, it really helps. The decoy I am using is Mojo's Super Critter, and the ol Foxpro Jack in the Box that I got in 2007 is still tickin'

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Official 2021 Predator Thread

I made one stand in early December, drug my son out in the sled for his first experience calling. No luck but he had a good time and I got some exercise

A few days into 2021 I got lucky on a couple wolves sleeping out on a lake. Story was posted here on HBC

I recently got four days of hunting in. Located some coyotes one night but no action the next day. A number of dry stands, I finally called in a coyote.

I headed to the farm, hiked about 500m along the field edge. Found a packed coyote trail heading from a swamp across the field and into the timber on other side. Wind was from the west, blowing my stink back across open field where I just came from. I set the Foxpro upwind of me 60 yards This farm has about four dogs, so it felt my new sound, DOGPILE, was fitting. It's basically a couple domestic dogs and a coyote engaging in a heated tussle . 3 minutes in, I catch a glimpse upwind near the call of a coyote running away from the call, back across a small swamp and into the timber - ****! All of a sudden the farm’s Great Pyrenees dog starts barking at me from 50 yards behind me. Christ...haha - Well this stand is ruined was my first thought. But I kept playing the dogpile. Now I have a real big decoy! I look over my shoulder and the dog is gone. Hmm whatever. I look back a few moments later, dog out in field. Coyote!

I have rifle and bipod pointed upwind/crosswind. I swing it over sloooowwwly , coyote standing there looking my way at approx 150 yards. It starts to trot back the way it came from the brush. It stops, frontal with it's body twisted a bit. The reticle settles on the chest, KAPOW - Berger on its way. The coyote loses its footing, scrambles, turns and starts jetting across the field quartering away from me for about 40 yards and piles up with a flip. I sit tight and call a bit more, no action so I gather up the gear and walk back, the fresh tracks in the snow tell the story : Two coyotes came out of the swamp downwind of my position around the corner out of sight . The coyote I shot swung out into field, the others tracks showed it came out In the field out of my sight around the bend. At the shot it turned and took off, and the big pyranees came out of the Bush behind it and chased it across the field below the farm house

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

That's awesome,one day very soon I hope to have time to do that.

Good work keep it up!!

Sweet!! Nice job man

Awesome job!

Great job!!

Nice work Tbart!!

'rifle
    Nearly all people can stand adversity, but if you want to test a person's character, give them power.

Looks like a lot of fun. I wish our coyote hunting was a little better on the coast. That quite the exit wound on the coyote. How was the exits on the wolves?
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

That’s a good start to thinning out a few dogs.

I gotta get some 95 grain V-Max loaded up in my 6.5 Creedmoor. That & some free time to go hunting