Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Congrats Swampthing, good job getting it done! Lynx are good eating if you haven’t tried yet. Some guy on 250 predator recently posted a Lynx fettuccine Alfredo recipe; sounds great.

You PG folk sure have a bunch of Lynx up there...pretty envious.

Congrats swampthing! I headed back out this weekend as well but hit much deeper snow levels. Hiked for 22km with the only fresh sign being moose. First season for preds is over but I look forward to more attempts next year. Got a few weeks to hammer some geese and hope to get out for Brant in early March.

congrats Bob! Great looking cat

I was out yesterday, walked 13km and made 3 stands. No luck, but I built an appetite
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Got a couple questions:
    What do you guys do regarding gun lubrication this time of year when the temps can drop way down?
    I just spray with G96 and then use compressed air to blow it off for the internals of the bolt.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have a 3 day wall tent coyote hunt comin up to end my pred season. Looking forward to it!

got any room? lol

Yesterday I found 3 wolf tracks.I think they were a couple of hours old.Followed them in an old logging block where I could get around on my sled.Found a low ridge where I could do some glassing.The tracks went into a gully so I tried calling from my vantage point.It started snowing pretty hard.The wind was good for me.Tried my mouth rabbit in distress then switch to a deer in distress.After an hour the snow let up.No luck here.

Re: Backdoor

Not favorable conditions this morning, high winds from the SW, warm temps +5c

I hiked in half a KM and set up beneath the limbs of a spruce tree. Foxpro w/ extra speaker and the Mojo decoy upwind of me about 50 yards. I started with some female lone howls, gave it about 10 minutes before switching to jackrabbit distress. Worked the volume up to max, then back down to 3/4. Switched to cottontail distress mixed with raven & magpies. Nomad & Gypsy coyote howls playing over each other. Coyote food fight, then coyote wrestling. Other than a few ravens soaring in the winds, no action. I winded the stand down with finch distress & magpie chaos. 60 minutes I sat there, I had to get going. Way longer of a sit than usual, but I only had time today a couple hours at first light, better make the best of it. I got up and walked to the call/decoy, glance to the north west and spot a coyote running along the top of a hill about 300 yards out. Gone in a second. It had come out of the timber to the north, zig zagging around, crossing my tracks on the way in. It seen me walking to the call and lit out of there

Nice just to get out even thou you don't wack something.

I've made 13 stands since last update on this thread. No luck, but did have a bit of action on one stand where a group howled 12 mins into the stand from the timber across the swamp from my position, and I spotted a coyote briefly but no shot was possible. I was heading to second stand, wind switched and was at my back, great. I get a few hundred yards from timber and the wind switches and is in my face. I waste no time and hang the foxpro in a tree and walk 20y upwind and set up. I’m not sure where coyote would come from for sure so I stand beside tree so I can better watch all angles easier. I sit 99% of the time. I turn Foxpro to female howls. I would pause between howls for a couple minutes. 8 minutes in, I glance to the south and see a coyote is coming In Hard a few hundred yards and closing fast. Gah! shit! **** **** ****! Hah here I am, standing there beside a tree I slowly sit down and get Tikka T3x CTR 223 on the tripod. I set remote down on icy snow. FOXBANG activated , the Call switches to pup distress the Coyote stops; then keeps charging in . FOXBANG is for when you shoot, a microphone in the remote senses the blast of rifle and switches call to a preset , pup distress in my case . It’s sensitive, even on lowest setting . Oh well , Coyote running in, it would slow down and then jump up on its hind legs to get a better view I suppose. Was cool to see, I’ve seen it on videos before. It catches my movement, Slows and walks towards me. It Stops facing me at 165 yards, and I press the trigger. Whomp ! 40gr Vmax smacked it hard.