Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2021 Predator Thread

Re: Official 2021 Predator Thread

The last few days I tried 3 different locations.Last night we got a fresh dump of snow so a good time to look for some sign.The snow was pretty deep and clinging to everything.At times I was pushing up to a foot and a half.Nothing moving today.

Yesterday I saw 3 moose.No wolf sign.Different area.

The day before a fresh cougar track over my sled trail on my way down the logging road.Later a fresh lynks track.Saw 6 deer as well.No wolf sign.

My buddy has killed 8 wolves locally this winter.He is doin' pretty good.

Last year was good for me but I really worked at it.The harder I worked the luckier I got.I have been way slack this season.Only been out 4 times.
    [IMG]file:///media/fuse/drivefs-4e0536abb2005852075d19416327d459/root/Chrome%20OS%20Cloud%20backup/2021-02-02/DSCF4962.JPG[/IMG]

I blew it on 3 wolves today. 1800 yards away and I couldn't get close enough for a shot. They went into the trees before I was within 500 yards. There was 6 and now there is 3. Some farmer or trapper is culling them.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I made 4 stands yesterday, no action
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

A brisk -23 this morning, I made six stands over 12km. Luck was with me on the 5th setup

I haven't hunted this spot in 5 years, and haven't called in a coyote here since 2008. I started with a few lone howls, waited 5 minutes then went to jackrabbit distress. At the 15 minute mark I switched the Foxpro to coyote fight, 4 minutes later I spot a coyote charging in from upwind. It's by itself, stops at 250 yards. Frontal shot, no exit with the 80.5gr Berger from the 22 Creedmoor. 24 pound male

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

perfect shot,nice area where you setup.

I was at it all weekend without any takers. I just got back to my truck after my first set sunday morning when a truck drove by. It stopped and backed up. I could see fur in the box! The grizzled old trapper smiled and told me I was doing it all wrong! He had just picked up two Lynx within a kilometer of where I was calling! Down the road I went!

Went for Lynx my first time this past Saturday in region 8-5. I got the Lucky Duck Revolt for xmas and built a Ruger American .223. Driving up the fsr in fresh snow, about 10km back found an area with a bunch of tracks. This location was my 4th set, as I was learning what to look for. 5mins in, I saw a large Lynx come out and was roaming around. I was prone approx. 150 yards away and it was snowing really hard. I let out a squeak to stop the Lynx; it sat down staring in my direction. I settled in and squeezed one off....but somehow missed. Great experience and learned a ton. Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now? Is that the case or would I be good to hit that same location a week later. I did walk through their bedroom and bathroom making sure I didn't connect, so my scent was everywhere. It has been snowing steadily in that area and will continue all week. Thoughts? Hit the spot again or go to a new spot? Afterwards, I saw video footage that showed there were actually two lynx there. Both large adults, but I thought it was one the whole time until I saw two in the video I took. I believe the regs state you can't shoot a lynx in the company of another....so I guess I am happy I missed the shot.
    Last edited by Bubbacanuck; 02-10-2021 at 02:10 PM.

Nice going bartell!

How long you call for before giving up on a spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Went for Lynx my first time this past Saturday in region 8-5. I got the Lucky Duck Revolt for xmas and built a Ruger American .223. Driving up the fsr in fresh snow, about 10km back found an area with a bunch of tracks. This location was my 4th set, as I was learning what to look for. 5mins in, two large Lynx came out and were roaming around. I was prone approx. 150 yards away and it was snowing really hard. I let out a squeak to stop the Lynx; the one I could see sat down staring in my direction. I settled in and squeezed one off....but somehow missed. Great experience and learned a ton. Hoping to go back to that same spot but I am worried the Lynx would be wise to the calls now? Is that the case or would I be good to hit that same location a week later. I did walk through their bedroom and bathroom making sure I didn't connect, so my scent was everywhere. It has been snowing steadily in that area and will continue all week. Thoughts? Hit the spot again or go to a new spot?
    Would spend more time at the range along with swampthing.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Would spend more time at the range along with swampthing.
    Not sure that was a question I asked...