Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed Hunting

Shed Hunting

A little hint on what you should do when shed hunting will help big time..

The sheds that I have been posting 95% of them did not come easy morning after morning I get out of bed and prepare myself for a days shed hunt some days my shed hunt might only be 5 hours and other days might be 10 hours and on a 10 hour shed hunt I will put on approximately 12k during most day spent shed hunting I will start at 6am during the month of March ,Aprial and May sometimes getting back to my truck or quad after dark time,,,lots of times I find nothing for a days shed hunt sometimes I can find up to 1 ,2,3, 4 or 5 sheds on a days outing ,,all and all its all about the time spent out in the hills if your not out there for days on end and many hours during these days out you won't find much at all,,the time spent out in Gods land is the key to finding any sheds,,believe it or not shed hunting to me is harder then any deer or elk hunts I go on
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-27-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shed Hunting

Good info, thank you Wayne...I too have most of my success on the longer days....

HI All

new to BC, moved here a year ago and live in lower mainland area, wondering where a good spot would be to take the daughter, wife and dog for a few days of shed hunting. We are used to Saskatchewan and farmland on quads to do this. we have a side by side and don't mind hiking.

any info much appreciated! thanks.

For deer, well, it’s anyones guess down at the coast. I found my best mulie shed in my back yard... For elk, you can try up the Squamish River valley, or drive halfway back to Cat-scratch-ewan (as The ‘Nuge calls it) and look around in the Kootenays. The further east you go (Cranbrook sort of east) the more elk you may find.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

But dont go to Wayne’s spots...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

Good point Wayne.You just have to burn some boot leather and put the time in. Somedays my Pack is Full on the walk home and some days its empty, sometimes its only 1 shed but 1 Good shed can make your whole day.

Good on you for putting in the effort. It is always a tough call when one of my friends asks for a shed to give to their dog to chew on. After all the hiking end effort it is hard to give them up.

I would think you find sheds where animals winter , am correct ?

Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

$14 a pound for elk sheds grade A. $9 a pound for grade B. I find the odd deer and moose shed, no elk.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

I wonder what happened to Wayne, haven't posted anything for a long time.
    I am thinking of finding some sheds in my area, as I have seen a dandy 5 point mulie with a couple neat drop tines.
    We still have a lot of snow, but hopefully next month will get to see the beginning of spring.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕