Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saving a hunters life

Re: Saving a hunters life

You can get an epi pen from your drug store.They do have a shelf life.

Many trips are ruined by people getting cramps = take potassium with you
    Funniest post I have ever read...

Originally Posted by troutseeker
    I rotate 1/2 tp 5/8 of a turn, and I do so in both directions. that is due to my press being mounted in th middle of my bench nad my beer being on hte right side nad my cigar being on hte left side. Thus I rotate each way ot take a sip or a puff.

I have not noticed significant runout, mind you,after a few brews I lose interest in measuring...

Thanks for the responses and pm for "Saving a hunters life". Id also like to add to hunters in the back country take the short course 1-3 hrs called "Stop The Bleed" it can save your own life or that of your partners when no help is nearby . You can find the site on google . I believe that they may do it as a zoom because of covid but in class courses are either free or up to 20.00 for the appx 90 min. well worth it for a deep knife cut, axe cut or animal attack should it happen. You'll learn how to stem the blood loss with very little resources. Enjoy the mountains.

We saved a hunters life once. Snowing heavy all day, I was working at Walhachin looking to the south wishing i could be up there. was late November. Went home from work too late to hunt and close to 18 inches of snow, was many years ago. Call came in from some friends that a hunter from Van. island was late and missing, above Walhachin. Was after 9 Pm. Two groups headed up looking for him. We went to the last place he was left, called on radio and fired a shot gun. Nothing. Spread out looking in the dark snowy night, i figured we must head down hill. Once we chained his buddies truck up, and dropped down below snowed in trees, we stopped and fired again. Finally this time, lost dude calls on his little frs radio. Head back westward to where he thought he heard the shots, We find him crouched up tightly under a big tree and would not budge till we could touch him. He was very cold and only wearing some polar fleece camo tops and bottoms. He was only 500 yards from where they dropped him off, Yet never heard the shot gun shot in the dark and snowed in trees. That guy wold have died that night. He could not and DID NOT light a fire. We took him back to the pub in Savona and drank beer on him till just past midnight. He finally came down stairs and said have a beer on him. I said Ha buddy you been buying them since we got here. He spent An hour in a hot bath. BRING A LIGHTER.

If you are planning on fly in hunts or trips where access is really difficult, wilderness first aid would be a great idea. I’d like to do it one day, for work I have to keep my industrial first aid current. I’ve taken the course at least 5 or 6 times and never feel it’s a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkyduck View Post
    We saved a hunters life once. Snowing heavy all day, I was working at Walhachin looking to the south wishing i could be up there. was late November. Went home from work too late to hunt and close to 18 inches of snow, was many years ago. Call came in from some friends that a hunter from Van. island was late and missing, above Walhachin. Was after 9 Pm. Two groups headed up looking for him. We went to the last place he was left, called on radio and fired a shot gun. Nothing. Spread out looking in the dark snowy night, i figured we must head down hill. Once we chained his buddies truck up, and dropped down below snowed in trees, we stopped and fired again. Finally this time, lost dude calls on his little frs radio. Head back westward to where he thought he heard the shots, We find him crouched up tightly under a big tree and would not budge till we could touch him. He was very cold and only wearing some polar fleece camo tops and bottoms. He was only 500 yards from where they dropped him off, Yet never heard the shot gun shot in the dark and snowed in trees. That guy wold have died that night. He could not and DID NOT light a fire. We took him back to the pub in Savona and drank beer on him till just past midnight. He finally came down stairs and said have a beer on him. I said Ha buddy you been buying them since we got here. He spent An hour in a hot bath. BRING A LIGHTER.

Recently a RCMP officer managed to rescue a hunter who had fallen into a water-filled muddy hole in a wooded area & was stuck at the side of a rural Nova Scotia trail

- the hunter was underdressed and didn't have water, food or a compass, adding "had (RCMP) members not located him as quickly as they did, the outcome would have been tragic."

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/n-s-mountie-heard-help-me-and-pulled-hunter-from-muddy-hole-off-rural-trail-1.6137475

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Reminds me of a Jim Shockey video I watched some time ago (I beleive it was the Professionals series)

A client was being filmed on an Island bear hunt when he suffered a cardiac incident after shooting his bear.

Guides kept him stable (for some time) until a CF SAR team was able to airlift him out. Even then, one of the guys on the ground had to guide the aircraft in to lower a SAR tech, ceiling was very low.

Very good show (episode) if you can find it and shows real life how quick a good situation can turn bad.

Always have a means of communications.
    Have a means to start a fire/make a shelter.
    Get training in buddy/self first aid.
    Remain Calm
    Last edited by Ron.C; 11-03-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Reminds me of a Jim Shockey video I watched some time ago (I beleive it was the Professionals series)

A client was being filmed on an Island bear hunt when he suffered a cardiac incident after shooting his bear.

Guides kept him stable (for some time) until a CF SAR team was able to airlift him out. Even then, one of the guys on the ground had to guide the aircraft in to lower a SAR tech, ceiling was very low.

Very good show (episode) if you can find it and shows real life how quick a good situation can turn bad.

Always have a means of communications.
    Have a means to start a fire/make a shelter.
    Get training in buddy/self first aid.
    Remain Calm
    The guide used to frequent this site. Pretty sure he goes by "Bruin"
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

yup..the SHOCKEY episode massive jammer..well presented real life emergency

heart attack with no allergies to ASA products..2 x 81 mg ASA CHEWED...

DANGEROUS BLEEDING..
    P...POSITION patient..laying down..lessens hearts need to pump vigorously.
    P..direct pressure over wound
    P..pressure point above wound en route to heart.

elevate the injured part of possible.
    LEAVE IMPALED OBJECTS IN THE BODY..IE KNIFE..ETC caused the wound block the bleed
    as a PARAMEDIC..stopping dangerous bleeds was my FORTE
    keeP patient still..warm

get professional medical help notified ASAP..earliest available time..
    steven
    Last edited by srupp; 11-03-2022 at 02:24 PM.

Well, having had to try and save my dads life recently (not successful), knowing proper cpr is important and knowing what to expect (like potentially breaking ribs), is a must to do it right, and needs to be learned in a class, imo.
    Yes, Eli pen and Benadryl, heavy bandages (not just the little small first aid kit).
    Truth is, there is 3 main factors we are at risk of while out in the middle of nowhere.
    First being, cardiac arrest or stroke etc.
    Second can be a fall that results in broken bones or concussion.
    Third is I guess a predator attack.
    If you are truly in the middle of no where, or even requires a few hours to get to a vehicle, you are really up against the wall, as many of these issues require immediate medical attention potentially.
    I guess a SAT phone.
    Sometimes there is no other way to get help or get someone to help they need.
    Even with that, it may not be soon enough.
    It certainly is a risk we take for granted when we go.
    Also, I like the idea of the gps that track your hunting partners location as well as your own like the garmin rhino versions do.
    I know of one individual who didn’t show back up at camp and the hunting partners didn’t really know where to start to find him.
    May have been too late anyways?
    But I do know there were a few times over the years when someone like my dad did not show up on time, and the minutes feel like hours, and if the radio is off or dead, it can get stressful real quick!
    Those lightweight blankets are a must also, just in case the person can’t move or be moved.