Thread: Moose & Venison Chili with Rouladen

Moose & Venison Chili with Rouladen

We are moving in Feb so we are trying to clean out our freezer as much as possible. It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.

Tonight my wife made the most delicious venison/moose chili. When I had our moose butchered at Huniford's in PG I over-ordered the thinly sliced rouladen, thinking I'd make a ton of jerky. I made some, but not enough, so the only moose we have left is cut into thin slices. Turns out it is perfect for chili. Ground meat sort of gets lost in all the beans and vegetables and tomatoes but the thin sliced moose stayed firm and really delicious.

I think I'll order as much rouladen next time, just for the chili.

Of course, some really good red wine was a nice complement too.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose & Venison Chili with Rouladen

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    We are moving in Feb so we are trying to clean out our freezer as much as possible. It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.

Tonight my wife made the most delicious venison/moose chili. When I had our moose butchered at Huniford's in PG I over-ordered the thinly sliced rouladen, thinking I'd make a ton of jerky. I made some, but not enough, so the only moose we have left is cut into thin slices. Turns out it is perfect for chili. Ground meat sort of gets lost in all the beans and vegetables and tomatoes but the thin sliced moose stayed firm and really delicious.

I think I'll order as much rouladen next time, just for the chili.

Of course, some really good red wine was a nice complement too.
    I made some chili a while back with ground bear meat and my son said "dad that's the best chili I ever had"
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Have you considered making rouladen from the rouladen cuts? One of my favourite dishes as a kid & to this day.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-24-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Have you considered making rouladen from the rouladen cuts? One of my favourite dishes as a kid & to this day.
    To be honest, I'd never heard of it until I searched to check my spelling. Sounds pretty delicious.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Reminded me that I have not had rouladin in a long long time.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thumbs up Re: Moose & Venison Chili with Rouladen

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    ... It is also fun to eat ridiculously good food while pretending we are in a pandemic and can't get groceries.
    Just posting to note that I rather LOVE that line.
    In fact we over here are living just that too!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

What a great idea. I'll have to ask for some rouladen cut the next time we get something.

Ooo, rouladen, potato dumplings, red cabbage cooked in red wine, salad with oil/vinegar dressing & a nice red..... Fine china & silverware for the occasion.

Last edited by mike31154; 01-26-2021 at 04:35 PM.