Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your budget is 1000$ plus tax, what scope are you buying for your rifle?

Re: Your budget is 1000$ plus tax, what scope are you buying for your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Like the title says, what are you buying and why? I’m in the market shortly for a new scope for my tikka 7mm. Personally I am leaning towards the swaro z3.. next option would be a vortex in the same price range. I have other vortex and I like the optic.
    I'd buy another Leupold VX3 in a heartbeat. Why? A great no nonsense, reliable, incredibly tough hunting scope that I have experience with. Mine has been atop my 30-06 and now my 7mm-08 for quite some time. Been through hell and back on a couple pretty nasty goat hunts and countless other hunts in all manner of terrain and weather from outright coastal downpours to -30. Dropped my rifle twice "during falls while goat hunting" and in both occasions scope did not lose zero or damage the seal. Mine has the CDS (have had great support from Korth when having various custom turrets made for this scope). I prefer to hold my crosshairs where I want my bullet to impact and its amazingly precise. For my money, I wouldn't look elsewhere.

In regards to Vortex, you either like them or you don't. Two of my friends have viper scopes and bino's (for quite some time) and are very happy with them. I have an original HD model Razor spotter and it's awesome. That said, in regards to a rifle scope I'd still go for another VX3.

Ultimately buy what you'd be happy with. I too have asked questions about gear choice on HBC but it's usually after I pretty much have my mind and am trying to fish for other like opinions.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-25-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Another vote for the Z3. Great scope. And Omer at Precision Optics is fantastic to deal with, provides the best pricing in Canada, and supports conservation efforts to boot.

bcmulie

Something Leupold

Vx3 2.5-8x36
    one of the best hunting scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingtyler123 View Post
    Like the title says, what are you buying and why? I’m in the market shortly for a new scope for my tikka 7mm. Personally I am leaning towards the swaro z3.. next option would be a vortex in the same price range. I have other vortex and I like the optic.
    i have a tika 7mm-08 with the swarvo z3. its a pretty decent setup, depending on what you wanna do.

I do hate the BT setup tho...not gonna buy a Swarvo with a BT ever again...fell off couple of time in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    optics are more important than the rifle itself
    BINGO cant kill it if ya cant see it

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    BINGO cant kill it if ya cant see it
    Goes both ways, if yer gun doesn’t shoot well no expensive optics will change that! K

IMO at that price range you need to decide between glass quality vs reticle type / ranging system.

You can either get great glass (Z3) or a first focal plane christmas tree reticle with zero-stop stuff (Vortex) but not both. To get both you need to up your budget.

For me personally, I go with Leupold because it has the longest eye relief and the most forgiving eye box, even though the glass isn't as good as Swarovski. I have poor eyesight with an astigmatism (-8.50 with +1.50 in my right eye) and for my eyes it presents the least amount of scope shadow and parallax issues. I also had good luck with the older Zeiss Conquest, but the newer V4 is out of your price range.

That is the best choice FOR ME. If someone asked me generally, best scope in that price range, I'd go Z3. All arounder I'd go Leupold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I'd buy another Leupold VX3 in a heartbeat. Why? A great no nonsense, reliable, incredibly tough hunting scope that I have experience with. Mine has been atop my 30-06 and now my 7mm-08 for quite some time. Been through hell and back on a couple pretty nasty goat hunts and countless other hunts in all manner of terrain and weather from outright coastal downpours to -30. Dropped my rifle twice "during falls while goat hunting" and in both occasions scope did not lose zero or damage the seal. Mine has the CDS (have had great support from Korth when having various custom turrets made for this scope). I prefer to hold my crosshairs where I want my bullet to impact and its amazingly precise. For my money, I wouldn't look elsewhere.

In regards to Vortex, you either like them or you don't. Two of my friends have viper scopes and bino's (for quite some time) and are very happy with them. I have an original HD model Razor spotter and it's awesome. That said, in regards to a rifle scope I'd still go for another VX3.

Ultimately buy what you'd be happy with. I too have asked questions about gear choice on HBC but it's usually after I pretty much have my mind and am trying to fish for other like opinions.

you are correct. Pretty much have my mind set on the swaro z3... was just looking for different opinions and ideas I guess. I don’t want this thread to get derailed or what is the best scope... I will look more into leupoid scopes ( I haven’t really)

thanks to all that has replied so far. I was just looking to spend the same on a scope for what I paid for my new rifle.
    Member of CCFR

Meopta. The best.