Thread: Backcountry Hut Users?

Backcountry Hut Users?

Hey everyone,

Any of you folks ever use backcountry huts as basecamps while hunting in the early season? Any run ins with hikers or other users and tips on that whole ordeal? Is it not worth the hassle? There seem to be plenty huts around.

Cheers!
    Coloradobill

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Backcountry Hut Users?

We've used one a couple times on goat hunts

We expect we have hikers show up so we always keep things clean and organized and keep our guns unloaded and set aside with our packs.

Only ever had another hunter show up at one and we shared the cabin with him. Was a nice chap.

Like anything, a bit of courtesy and respect for the other person goes a long way.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-22-2021 at 10:52 AM.

West Kootenays has a lot of backcountry cabins, snow mobile, X country skiers, trapline cabins. Most are open for day use, some posted no overnight, Trapline cabins as far as i'm concerned are off limits.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

There was one I was interested in for years and finally found it on an alpine scouting trip last August.

It is actually a very popular snowmobiling cabin in-season, but nobody was there at the time. It is up a very broadly cut trail from the end of the logging road and only a short but very steep quad ride uphill if you know of it so I suspect that it wouldn't be very lonely up there on the first day of 4-point mule deer season.

Country looks nice though

The cabin I found in region 2 surprising close to a busy highway in June. Not a very gamey area but notes left indicated that there were bears around occasionally. Very nice and clean and unmolested.

Last edited by MichelD; 01-22-2021 at 02:10 PM.