Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seams inevetable- Why not get ahead of it- Plastic Wads.

Seams inevetable- Why not get ahead of it- Plastic Wads.

It seems inevitable that there will be a push to biodegradable shot wads. Why aren't plastic wads for shot shells available in the Canadian ammunition market.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Seams inevetable- Why not get ahead of it- Plastic Wads.

I agree. When we do clean up in the swamps after our hunts and during organized clean ups we are always picking up plastic wads. And during hunting it is next to impossible to pick up your wads. Hulls yes but wads are anywhere from 10 to 30m out.

Do frequent wad walks while hunting fields... but yeah waterways are near impossible to get them all.

Kind of reminds me though of when people were calling for Marijuana to be legalized so they could make hemp products... like plastic alternatives. But now you see plastic containers and foil packets everywhere.

Would be nice if hunters could be the frontrunner in using biodegradable. Especially in their shotgun shells.

No I wouldn't want to go back to cardboard shells.

Quote Originally Posted by tightgrouper View Post
    It seems inevitable that there will be a push to biodegradable shot wads. Why aren't plastic wads for shot shells available in the Canadian ammunition market.
    Not sure I understand all of your question. Plastic wads for reloading are available. Were you asking if bio plastic wads were available? I was in the UK about 20 years ago and they had banned plastic wads. Everything sold has fibre wads. I think you will see a gradual transition to fiber over the years. I don't know if fiber wads will be an issue with some shotguns that have forcing cones removed or altered.

the issue is to get manufacturers here doing so in enough quantity to make it more than a boutique thing. You know what will happen is that suddenly a government will mandate it and there will be a huge adjustment for consumers and manufacturers. I am positive it is going to come, so how can we make the shift sooner so there is less disruption and so industry can do it their way and not follow some bureaucrat's vision of it.

Ya lets use something to help those steel pellets rust faster. I hate change!!
    I still have 1000 rounds of BB, 2, 4, 6 and 7 1/2 in lead. I keep it for the young ones to knock over stuff.
    I once was so poor I recycled the wads into new shells.(410)
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

The reality is there are very few places in Canada that plastic wads would be a concern. I could see this happening in some places in the USA that are heavily gunned every season or in California. As much and all as we don't want to intentionally pollute, wads are pretty small potatoes. There is more plastic waste washed ashore from passing freighters and more deposited into the ocean from micro plastics. Unfortunately things like plastic has been politically sensitized to push the Enviro agenda. So changing or degrading the performance of shot shells just to cater to the snowflakes isn't a great idea in my mind. It just encourages them.

Each ammunition manufacturer has their own wad design to maximize their shell’s performance. Currently we have excellent shotshells available and lots of options.
    If manufacturers design a bio product that works well, all is good. But if legislation forces manufacturers to put something out that’s not up to the current standard of performance we could have inferior shells.
    A lot of guys stopped waterfowling when steel came in because of poor performing shells. A wad is important to protect the barrel, cushion initial ignition in shell, and protect the shot from damage inside the petals. New materials need to deliver the payload at least up to where we are now.
    We always pick up hulls and wads at our fields. Keep it clean and the farmers will be happy. Any hulls or wads you shoot should be picked up if possible. They will be around for a long time if you don’t and the mess makes all hunters look like slobs....
    I do hope manufacturers are designing bio wads for their products now, if the performance is there, we should all use them.
    Buddi doing what she does best!

This is what I want:https: //www.rioammo.com/en/rio_ammunition/new_rio_products#

Very difficult to get, even in the US right now. Pretty much none existent in canada.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    The reality is there are very few places in Canada that plastic wads would be a concern. I could see this happening in some places in the USA that are heavily gunned every season or in California. As much and all as we don't want to intentionally pollute, wads are pretty small potatoes. There is more plastic waste washed ashore from passing freighters and more deposited into the ocean from micro plastics. Unfortunately things like plastic has been politically sensitized to push the Enviro agenda. So changing or degrading the performance of shot shells just to cater to the snowflakes isn't a great idea in my mind. It just encourages them.
    I disagree. No farmer i know wants to feed his cows shards of plastic. PLus if you hunt as much as we do in some of our spots it would be completely irreasonsible to leave them. We fill 5 gallon buckets full at the end of the season. We pick up our wads every hunt in some places and in others we pick them up at the end of the season. Bio degreadable wads should have been a thing a long time ago and i look forward to when they are mandated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.