Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seams inevetable- Why not get ahead of it- Plastic Wads.

Re: Seams inevetable- Why not get ahead of it- Plastic Wads.

Couple issues: Without a plastic shot wrap (when using with fiber wads) around steel shot it will score the heck out of a barrel. Without at least a plastic gas seal over the powder, pattern performance will suffer at distances beyond skeet range...assuming old style nitro card wads are used directly over the powder charge. I know...I started reloading shotshells before the advent of plastic one piece wads, plastic gas seals for over the powder, and shot wraps.

Sounds like a business opportunity.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 01-24-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I disagree. No farmer i know wants to feed his cows shards of plastic. PLus if you hunt as much as we do in some of our spots it would be completely irreasonsible to leave them. We fill 5 gallon buckets full at the end of the season. We pick up our wads every hunt in some places and in others we pick them up at the end of the season. Bio degreadable wads should have been a thing a long time ago and i look forward to when they are mandated.
    Agree with your comments. What I as referring to had more to do with hunting on the salt chuck and not farm fields. I too will and would do all I could to leave any area as clean or better than I found it. Picking up shotshells is easy, but wads are a different story on the ocean.

Last years clean up from 112th. The wads get a pass, the hulls, 50% probably could have been cleaned up, but the boxes are inexcusable.

url=https://postimg.cc/nXxHRTrf][/url]

If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

BTW there is going to be an organized cleanup of both Boundary and Robert's Bank. Watch for the announcement. A few groups are coordinating this.

re: wads. I wonder if any companies are looking into bioplastic which are said to degrade over months as compared to regular plastics which won't in a lifetime.

EDIT: it seems the groundwork has been done https://www.vims.edu/ccrm/research/m...0environments.
    Last edited by silveragent; 01-25-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    The reality is there are very few places in Canada that plastic wads would be a concern. I could see this happening in some places in the USA that are heavily gunned every season or in California. As much and all as we don't want to intentionally pollute, wads are pretty small potatoes. There is more plastic waste washed ashore from passing freighters and more deposited into the ocean from micro plastics. Unfortunately things like plastic has been politically sensitized to push the Enviro agenda. So changing or degrading the performance of shot shells just to cater to the snowflakes isn't a great idea in my mind. It just encourages them.
    I had permission in a Delta field when he was growing potatoes, but then switched to cranberries and the farmer said don't shoot anywhere near the cranberries as the wads screw up the harvesting machine screen mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I had permission in a Delta field when he was growing potatoes, but then switched to cranberries and the farmer said don't shoot anywhere near the cranberries as the wads screw up the harvesting machine screen mechanisms.
    Absolutely. I used to hunt a farm where they grew hay and grazed cattle. I would always pick up all shells or any other garbage I found before leaving. It's just common sense. Unfortunately wads are not always recoverable. Yes pick them up if you can. Another concern I have heard of is the use of lead around farm land. I know that applies more to upland game, but I am sure that there are those who will use that as an excuse to not allow hunting.

I’m with Lorne on this one. I would happily shoot biodegradable wads and non tox shot for all my shotgunning. The British have been for years and they still shoot lots of fowl. There’s no reason North America shouldn’t follow suit. We as hunters and the industry surrounding need to begin leading non these issues rather than being mandated. We are a minuscule segment of the population and getting smaller all the time. Our rights and abilities to do these activities are not guaranteed and one day there simply won’t be enough of us so we should be setting the best possible example and leaving the smallest footprint possible.
    "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six"