View Poll Results: Is it safe to wear chest waders with a belt in a boat?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • PVC chest waders OK

0 0%
  • Neoprene waders are OK

11 25.58%
  • PVC & Neoprene waders are OK

11 25.58%
  • Take the waders off after launching boat

8 18.60%
  • No waders in boat

15 34.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

Re: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

Been using waders in boats for years. With saying this, I only wear waders when heading duck hunting or salmon/steelhead fishing as I’m in/out of the boat multiple times. In my fly fishing boat I only use my Muck boots as waders really aren’t needed. If wearing waders, use a pfd and don’t take a chance.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Sorry for derailing your thread geologist but that’s a nice looking boat you have there !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by geologist View Post
    I am going fishing next week. I will be solo in my little boat (see below). I will be lake fishing, air temperature 5-9C.

My question is: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

I get wet launching and in these temperatures that's a bad thing. I have both neoprene and PVC chest waders and always wear a wader belt with them (tight!). I will also be wearing a PFD. In winter a Mustang MC1535 floater jacket with beavertail and in summer a good vest PFD.

If the danger of wearing them is great then another option is to wear them during launching or recovery and then take them off while fishing.

What do you fishermen and hunters do?

The boat is a 14' Lund SSV. I have a rescue ladder mounted on the starboard side of the transom so I think that I will be able to get back into the boat very quickly should I go overboard while it is not underway.

Any opinions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Sorry for derailing your thread geologist but that’s a nice looking boat you have there !
    Arctic Lake
    No problemo

Buoyancy from the waist down will have a tendency to submerge your head. Wear a PFD for sure.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Do neoprene waders still exist? lol

I would think you should be able to launch any boat with just knee high boots on,,,at least with the boats I use. That being said, if you are wearing a life jacket with your waders on in the boat and you have a ladder to assist getting back in I can't see how you would ever have a problem wearing them in your boat if that's your choice.

Personally I much prefer rain gear instead of waders in a boat when it's pissing out while lake fishing but I have worn waders plenty of times in a boat when traveling to go duck hunting, even though we don't hunt from the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Lots of guys wear waders when drifting rivers for steelhead. In my experience with neoprene waders, I can tell you that your bouyance level goes up. As long as the Neos fit fairly snug which most do, it's almost like wearing half a survival suit. If you are going to wear PVC waders, I would definitely be wearing a belt around them. If you fall in with those, it could be a different story and possible fatal. With either wader I would also wear a good inflatable type life jacket or vest like a Mustang.
    This. A tight belt and a PFD.

Waders with waste belt tightened, wear a PFD and be able to swim and you should be ok.
    If you can't swim, you have no business being on a boat.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Not without a wader belt! I have had a tumble in the river and only got wet above the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Waders with waste belt tightened, wear a PFD and be able to swim and you should be ok.
    If you can't swim, you have no business being on a boat.
    Yes I swim, always wear a tight wader belt with chest waders and have experience working with boats, inflatables and canoes in very cold water.

I find that when the wind is blowing onshore when I launch, the boat comes in and I have to get wet (in shorts) to push the boat off my trailer and then get it tied off.

I'm going to go to the Jade boat launch at Cultus Lake, it has little docks on either side so hopefully it;ll be easier.

Solo sucks.

When I was in the military, we had to do a test where we wore combat dress " no equipment" and had to tred water for a certain period of time then swim xxx distance. In another test we had to enter a life raft " allot of people were not capable of doing this without help"

Several guys "who could swim" required assistance and failed simply due to the weight of their cloths and quickly became exhausted.

I mention this because many people assume they can manage in an emergency when in fact they are not prepared or capabale of doing what they think they can.

In regards to waders, yes you will float in neoprene waders. But, throw in current, wind, waves, cold water and you might find self rescue or even rescue with the help of a partner very challenging
    or impossible.

My recomendation is to try it under safe and controlled circumstances with help at the ready.