View Poll Results: Is it safe to wear chest waders with a belt in a boat?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • PVC chest waders OK

0 0%
  • Neoprene waders are OK

11 25.58%
  • PVC & Neoprene waders are OK

11 25.58%
  • Take the waders off after launching boat

8 18.60%
  • No waders in boat

15 34.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

I am going fishing next week. I will be solo in my little boat (see below). I will be lake fishing, air temperature 5-9C.

My question is: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

I get wet launching and in these temperatures that's a bad thing. I have both neoprene and PVC chest waders and always wear a wader belt with them (tight!). I will also be wearing a PFD. In winter a Mustang MC1535 floater jacket with beavertail and in summer a good vest PFD.

If the danger of wearing them is great then another option is to wear them during launching or recovery and then take them off while fishing.

What do you fishermen and hunters do?

The boat is a 14' Lund SSV. I have a rescue ladder mounted on the starboard side of the transom so I think that I will be able to get back into the boat very quickly should I go overboard while it is not underway.

Any opinions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Is it safe to wear chest waders in a boat?

I wear neoprene boot foot chest waders in my boat every weekend for duck hunting. I also wear a life jacket while travelling or setting up and wading in sketchy channels while also hanging on to the punt. I don't see any alternative to doing this. If you fall in you should float given neutral buoyancy but current is another matter and that could complicate things. The problem I see is getting out of the water and back in to your boat once you are in. Waders full of water will be heavy. I have a knife on my wader strap on the view that if I ever really got in the shit I would cut them off. Not a theory I have had to test yet though.

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Wait for a nice warm day in Summer, have a couple of able bodied rescue swimmers on hand then intentionally fall overboard near the Boat Launch with your gear on.
    This will give you the answer your looking for for sure. Some very fit 70year old could rescue themselves, some overconfident 20 year olds would drown.

Be sure, be safe, cold Water can be unforgiving !

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Are you tethered to the boat? Waders or not, if you get tossed from your boat in anything but perfect calm, it won't likely float toward you.

Once you've got positive bouyancy and a secure line to your boat, waders or not are a small matter.

I used to sail small craft in rough weather and the only time I was scared in the water was when the boat and I got separated.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 01-20-2021 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Nice boat! I think you’d be okay I wear waders in my boat when duck hunting.

Surely you can use hip waders? Then take them off while using the boat. Even chest waders. Your boat looks stable enough after launch to take them off. Have a set of gumboots there or whatever. Why won't that work? If you can't do that, wear a good life jacket and hit a tight fetal position when hitting the water. If you can lock the air in your waders, it may help you float. Never tried it, don't know if it would work, would lose the waders for gumboots right after launch.
    Last edited by 180grainer; 01-20-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Lots of guys wear waders when drifting rivers for steelhead. In my experience with neoprene waders, I can tell you that your bouyance level goes up. As long as the Neos fit fairly snug which most do, it's almost like wearing half a survival suit. If you are going to wear PVC waders, I would definitely be wearing a belt around them. If you fall in with those, it could be a different story and possible fatal. With either wader I would also wear a good inflatable type life jacket or vest like a Mustang.

I've heard lots of different opinions on this over the years.

Yes neoprene floats, and no, wearing waders in calm (no current) water wont drag you to the bottom. Yes, I guess air could get trapped in your waders helping with floatation. Never tried it, but I'm thinking climbing back into the boat after falling into cold water with waders on would be tough?? Falling into the water with current (river) wearing waders, no belt, and no pfd would be very bad.

Personally, when the water/weather is cold I just throw on some gumboots to launch the boat and stay dry, then change them out when I'm in the boat. If I were to fall in I'd rather swim around/climb back into the boat with the least amount of gear on as possible....and I find waders constrictive and don't really like wearing gumboots.

Just my two cents...

If I was planning on staying in the the boat after launching, I'd take off the waders. It only takes a minute.
    A good PFD, a personal tether, and an engine tether would be musts for me.

There’s quite a few youtube videos showing waders actually helping rather then sinking you. Neoprene with a belt should be completely fine in the event of an accident. Air pockets build up in your legs and the neoprene adds to buoyancy. Many guys run boats with waders on.