Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

tip one previous thread- HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

(2) When I'm hiking thru grizzly country whether solo or with hunting partner I keep my rifle scope set at the lowest power. A bear at a distance away is not an issue you have time But come up on a bear at close range especially one charging you want your scope at the lower power. you have a wider field of vision.

(3) When hiking thru woods never put your hands thru the loops on your hiking poles . when that charge comes you don't want your poles getting in the way of your rifle as they flap around

More tips to come later
    Last edited by stoneramhunter; 01-20-2021 at 09:53 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

find the fastest method you can for accessing rifle, i use the kifaru gun bearer. One quick pull on a strap and the rifle is in my hands pointed the right way.

Haha, I can attest to Tip 2 !!!

Stumbled onto a griz at about 20 meters during a creek crossing a few km into a 12k hike out of a goat hunt (by myself).

Bear stood up, woofed then turn and luckily for me, ran the opposite direction into some dense brush.

I must have looked like a moron trying to get my hiking pole loops off and attempting to grab my rifle at the same time. Was a complete cluster#$%^.

If the bear had decided to charge, I would of been screwed.

Again great tips Stoneram.... tip 2 is good for hunting in general, lol I put a buddy on WT buck at 30 yards one time, I had already cancelled my tag the day before and he missed it at that close range cause he was on 9 zoom...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Again great tips Stoneram.... tip 2 is good for hunting in general, lol I put a buddy on WT buck at 30 yards one time, I had already cancelled my tag the day before and he missed it at that close range cause he was on 9 zoom...
    I know someone that runs at 6 power all the time. Annoys me to all hell. Especially since he hunts in areas where shots are under 100 yards and he can't seem to shoot well past that.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I know someone that runs at 6 power all the time. Annoys me to all hell. Especially since he hunts in areas where shots are under 100 yards and he can't seem to shoot well past that.
    This is one of the reasons I opted for a 2.5-10 power scope. I keep it on 2.5 power almost exclusively unless I have the time to crank it up. Allows quick target acquisition in a bear situation or hunting bush.

I have had close encounters with 3 black bears and one grizz. Only the grizz did I pull my rifle up but he wasn't necessarily a threat. Just backed me down a trail to the truck. He didn't seem to really give a shit haha.

I also use a gun bearer or SG sling so my rifle is always close.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

Don’t shoot a large caliber bear with a small caliber rifle..

Take a knee!
    That way you are at a better angle to hit him in the head not behind him as he closes the distance.

People have asked me over the years about mountain hunting, “what do you do about grizzlies? Aren’t you afraid?”
    My usual answer is; I crawl in the tent at night and try to not think about it, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    People have asked me over the years about mountain hunting, “what do you do about grizzlies? Aren’t you afraid?”
    My usual answer is; I crawl in the tent at night and try to not think about it, lol.
    Man I am the worse for that. I'm gonna start bringing ear plugs. Evey sound I hear I think the worse. I'm a bit of a spazz that way but only when sleeping. If I'm out and about I don't worry too much about them.
    WSSBC
    CCFR