Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

Re: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

so you're rifle isn't close at hand
    what type of fighting knife do you carry?
    Glad to say I have hunted Northern BC

Simon Fraser had pretty good judgement on what he found in BC

Put up a bear fence around your camp if possible,,, try to hunt with two people and always assume there is a grizzle near you meaning always be alert,,, carry bear spray ,bear banger and at night if packing meat out leave the rifle at camp and use a 12 gauge shotgun using 3 inch slugs and SSG get a North star light that has the red dot to put at the end of the barrow of the shotgun so you can follow a bear with good lighting at night. Use a powerful head lamps as well to see good at night.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 08-26-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Have a field dressing knife for sure . But if you are talking for defence in my opinion a sharp fixed sturdy blade with a prominent bolster is a must . If needing to sink a knife deep and you hit bone you don’t want your hand running down the bade ! . Something like a USMC Kabar knife . If I’m going into a place where I think I might get turned around or encounter a situation that will need me to survive I carry a BK-9 . You can chop down anything with that tool !Look them up .Priceless Peace Of Mind
    Arctic Lake !
    Quote Originally Posted by high horse Hal View Post
    so you're rifle isn't close at hand
    what type of fighting knife do you carry?
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by THE SWEDE View Post
    George clear your inbox.. I’m sure it’s crammed full of messages from guys looking for your hot spots
    done all cleared

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    tip one previous thread- HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

(2) When I'm hiking thru grizzly country whether solo or with hunting partner I keep my rifle scope set at the lowest power. A bear at a distance away is not an issue you have time But come up on a bear at close range especially one charging you want your scope at the lower power. you have a wider field of vision.

(3) When hiking thru woods never put your hands thru the loops on your hiking poles . when that charge comes you don't want your poles getting in the way of your rifle as they flap around

More tips to come later
    another grizz post of mine

I've been told you shouldn't aim for the head/skull with a slug or rifle bullet on a charging Bear because their skulls are thick, but instead aim for the chest and shoulders to try and stop it from being able to use it's front legs effectively. But I guess if it was now or never and didn't have time i'd aim for center mass.

Anybody been charged by one and missed and the loud bang of the gun spook it away? I guess it would come down to how enraged and or determined the Bear is.