Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

Re: TIP 2 and 3 HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by 3than View Post
    A shotgun with 00 buck and slug rotation is a legal option that's hard to beat for a gun strictly for bear protection.
    Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    My go to while bow hunting !!
    What's the reasoning for 00 buck and slug rotation? Just wondering.
    .375 H&H, .375 Ruger, .375 Weatherby - THE 3 KINGS!!!

When scouting/fishing/boating/camping I pack my 870 tactical full of slugs only.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by 3than View Post
    A shotgun with 00 buck and slug rotation is a legal option that's hard to beat for a gun strictly for bear protection.
    I'd imagine that a 12 gauge semi would do quite well with Sabot slugs. Too bad that we can't have an extended magazine. A 30 round drum would sure teach Yogi a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by 375shooter View Post
    I was told by a guy who ran logging crews the idea is buck to stand em up, slug to knock em down.

I go all slugs in my 870.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ROY-alty33 View Post
    Take a knee!
    That way you are at a better angle to hit him in the head not behind him as he closes the distance.
    Best advice there is in a charge situation,,your on the same plane as the bear and the angle never changes,,sanding, there is waay too much going on

Its a bad idea,,buck shot will just piss him off, he wont miss a step,,slugs only,,the heaviest you can buy,,Brenneke if you can find them,,,,trust me, I do this for a living

Last edited by .330 Dakota; 01-22-2021 at 08:57 AM.

carry radios is my tip...

hunting up near Cranbrook... day before doe opens, partner got a buck first thing so after hanging it he went fishing for the afternoon. around the camp fire that night, he mentioned that he could see a huge buck head and rack on the other side of the river from where he was fishing....it was too deep and fast to cross there so he decided to check it out later.

We had already crossed the river about 2km up stream with hip waders (carrying hiking boots) previously so we knew we could cross there and walk down to the spot where the head was....I crossed over with him and we stashed the waders and headed off with hiking boots on....buddy and I moved at pace the 2km to get to the head and when we got there we realized it was an elk head not a deer...

it was less than a 5x5 rack IIRC maybe 3x4 or something unimpressive for an elk...the skull had tumbled down river a bit and only had one of the ivory teeth left....after checking it out for a while neither of us wanted it so we placed it on a stump and headed back to camp...

as we got close to camp we approached a clearing and a WT deer jumped up and hopped off to the back of the clearing 300-400 yards away and stood there..we made a plan to have buddy circle around while I would push in from the other direction...I waited for him to work his way around into position before slowly moving in..i tried to call him on the radio to confirm we were both ready for the stalk..no answer from him...

I crossed the cut block quietly and went through a low spot on the way to where the deer was.... as I rose out of the hole I peered towards where I had last seen the deer....I caught movement and clicked off the safety...that is when momma grizz stood up at about 100 yards...she stared at me but was distracted by her 3 cubs...I whistled to gently alert her with the hopes of moving her on....I reached for my radio again to call buddy but buddy did not reply and was blissfully unaware of the bear...he later told me he thought i had whistled at a buck to stop it..i stood motionless but could see him slowly closing the distance to the bear (he was slightly closer than I was by this time)...i tried him on the radio again but no reply...

i finally decided to try and circle between buddy and the bears a bit before letting out some yells so i didn't scare it towards him...she was a good bear and took off at pace with 2 cubs and doing a small circle back to scold and hurry along the 3rd cub.....

i must admit i did give buddy a small scolding for leaving his radio at camp...heheheh

Bear uses nose, eyes and ears to locate you. OO Buck at point blank holy shit time is much more likely to disable an attacking bear. Slugs to kill it. It gives Me My best chance, as I said , it's My go to while bow hunting. Been there, done that and it worked for Me.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    tip one previous thread- HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

(2) When I'm hiking thru grizzly country whether solo or with hunting partner I keep my rifle scope set at the lowest power. A bear at a distance away is not an issue you have time But come up on a bear at close range especially one charging you want your scope at the lower power. you have a wider field of vision.

(3) When hiking thru woods never put your hands thru the loops on your hiking poles . when that charge comes you don't want your poles getting in the way of your rifle as they flap around

More tips to come later
    as requested

Quote Originally Posted by Kos View Post
    Should you even look through the scope if a bear is 20ft from you charging full on?
    I did not look through the scope . . . no time
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC