Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Re: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Congrats nice goat, wondering where you had it CIed. Also the scoring storey is interesting if the first and second time were done by official measurers.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    that is one fine looking billy. Well done and thanks for sharing!!!!!!

It's pretty crazy to see that horn falling apart at the back like that. I've heard of it before in old goats, but never seen it!

As far as your score shopping .... how can they tell? It was my understanding that if a goat is scored adn didn't meet book, it wasn't going to be recorded anywhere so how did they know?
    Ya the rotting at the bases was neat.

as for how they knew I unintentionally “score shopped”.... here on the island, there is only 1 group of professional scorers that tour around to the shows and outdoor shops. Very very few goats CI’d so I kinda got the feeling they weren’t really confident in measuring based on what I saw (not slagging the crew either, they do a great job and see a ton of bone to measure).

anyway because it’s the same panels of scores they picked it out I guess, especially after my buddy mention that the new score was much better than the original score... put up some flags there I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Congrats nice goat, wondering where you had it CIed. Also the scoring storey is interesting if the first and second time were done by official measurers.
    i had it CI’d in Nanaimo by a very experienced goat expert. Anyone from the island likely knows Kim in Nanaimo. The age rings at the base are very stacked up.

Good job on a very nice billy. I’ll take character over score any day, plus you have great memories to go along with it.
    Twist and pull.

Good story and heck of a goat, a real beaut. Congrats.

Most of the 10+ year olds I’ve gotten have some degree of rot at the back; just how it goes. Some areas seem to do it worse than others too.

Any chance you could post another pic of the annuli in a light that shows the rings better? Give the internet gurus a chance to look em over.

Right side

left side

Quote Originally Posted by bang flop View Post
    Much nicer to have to horns in ones hands to be able to rotate them when trying to age and no hair in place at base but looks like can see 12 fairly noticable in this pic, and as mentioned could be some hidden by hair.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Much nicer to have to horns in ones hands to be able to rotate them when trying to age and no hair in place at base but looks like can see 12 fairly noticable in this pic, and as mentioned could be some hidden by hair.
    it’s funny... age annuli stand out better in picture than they do just looking at them. Also easier to see annuli now than when I had it CI’d.

the hair is a little in the way. I took good pics of the horns before they were mounted but I can’t seem to find them so I just snapped a few new ones.