Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Re: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Sweet pics! Very obviously well past the 8 year mark. That CI was way off originally.

And makes sense about the "score shopping" after you mentioned you are from the island
    It would be a much smaller circle over there!

If you had enough cape for a half life size mount, why did the shoulder mount come out kind of short? I would have thought it would have extended a bitnfirther back to showcase some of the shoulders past the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Sweet pics! Very obviously well past the 8 year mark. That CI was way off originally.

And makes sense about the "score shopping" after you mentioned you are from the island
    It would be a much smaller circle over there!

If you had enough cape for a half life size mount, why did the shoulder mount come out kind of short? I would have thought it would have extended a bitnfirther back to showcase some of the shoulders past the neck.
    ya, took full front half, tubed the front legs and took front hooves. In all reality I shoulda saved time on the mountain and left the extras, but I really didn’t know what I wanted, and certainly didn’t know the cost of a 1/2 mount. I believe it was around $4k. Shoulder was around $1k. Sure woulda been cool having 1/2 mount.

as for the size... I dunno, it’s pretty big on the wall, much bigger than my whitetail mount. I would also guess the taxi buys the foam mount and works from that.

Curious if any of you guys can highlight the 12 rings you see? I’m not super understanding of aging or ring identifying.

Quote Originally Posted by bang flop View Post
    ya, took full front half, tubed the front legs and took front hooves. In all reality I shoulda saved time on the mountain and left the extras, but I really didn’t know what I wanted, and certainly didn’t know the cost of a 1/2 mount. I believe it was around $4k. Shoulder was around $1k. Sure woulda been cool having 1/2 mount.

as for the size... I dunno, it’s pretty big on the wall, much bigger than my whitetail mount. I would also guess the taxi buys the foam mount and works from that.
    There are guys that work for much less than that and still deliver quality work. You get what you pay for .... but up to a certain point. Some definitely carry a premium for the name.

I have seen a $900 shoulder mount job and couldnt tell it apart from a $1200 one. To me, that's a pretty large difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bang flop View Post
    Curious if any of you guys can highlight the 12 rings you see? I’m not super understanding of aging or ring identifying.
    Sorry im not computer smart enough to no how to do that.

Ah the most difficult part was finding the imgur way to embed the photo.
    Comfortably get to 12 on his right horn but the left leaves more to the imagination. Surely not doubting there's another annuli beneath what we can see.

As for the 8 years. Really doesn't matter too much for goats other than skew age class stats. But low balling with an obvious lower number and a plus sign isn't unique to your CI guy; although IME I've only seen it with contractors.

Edit: removed my opinion
    Last edited by Kopper; 01-23-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Awesome goat! Thanks for sharing the story. I had no idea a goat could live to 20...
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    Ah the most difficult part was finding the imgur way to embed the photo.
    Comfortably get to 12 on his right horn but the left leaves more to the imagination. Surely not doubting there's another annuli beneath what we can see.

As for the 8 years. Really doesn't matter too much for goats other than skew age class stats. But low balling with an obvious lower number and a plus sign isn't unique to your CI guy; although IME I've only seen it with contractors.

Edit: removed my opinion
    thanks Kopper. What you have identified makes sense. Really appreciate you taking time to help educate.

I would imagine the area bio would use tooth age over CI age for population monitoring, but sillier things are known to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    There are guys that work for much less than that and still deliver quality work. You get what you pay for .... but up to a certain point. Some definitely carry a premium for the name.

I have seen a $900 shoulder mount job and couldnt tell it apart from a $1200 one. To me, that's a pretty large difference.
    maybe coulda got it done cheaper, but this guy is in town for me, reputable and I’m satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    Awesome goat! Thanks for sharing the story. I had no idea a goat could live to 20...
    20 is quite something for sure. Definitely one a kind in that age category. Seems like 10+ the numbers understandably drop considerably.

fluke on my part to chase after a rare animal and be oblivious to it until you get home...