Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Ok, like a lot of others, I have sat mostly on the side lines reading and enjoying many of the stories that show up on here (although we could use some more...).

I'll see if I can get it all posted up tonight... but may have to happen over the next couple of nights after family obligations are fulfilled.

Its from a few years back, but I still dream of re-doing this hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: why not one more goat story to get us through COVID... from the past

Awesome! Cant wait!

First off, I wouldn’t consider myself a “big game trophy” type hunter, I hunt because I enjoy the outdoors, meat in the freezer and I enjoy spending time with my hunting brother. I would classify myself as a classic table fare hunter.

This year’s hunting plans, similar to other years was dictated by the LEH results. Typically I only put in for moose and elk, but in the past few years I have decided to “keep my options open…” and put in for everything imaginable.

It doesn’t take long for word that the LEH results are available to spread amongst hunters… I probably got 6 texts stating they were available and if I won any draws?

Well, I guess you could say I got lucky. Although I was hoping for a coveted Roosevelt Elk tag or a bull Moose tag, that didn’t happen, and it didn’t happen for anyone in my hunting party. In consolation, I did win a goat draw though… and at the time I wasn’t overly excited, but remembered I put in for goat because I wanted opportunity, and a reason to go check out an area I had never been before, let alone hunted.

Last edited by bang flop; 01-19-2021 at 10:55 PM. Reason: edited text

Back track 2 steps… I applied for goat in this area knowing nothing about it, but went on the knowledge of a good friend who had hunted there before (thanks Mike). In all reality I had minimal intentions of going, or expectations of being drawn.

After a few texts back and forth with the bro about the lack of success in the LEH draw, we thought… “now what?” We were sort of banking on good fortunes in the draw and it felt like a complete blank, but we discussed things and said we may as well go for a goat/deer/elk combo trip to a new area. We ended up making a few calls to some good friends. Turns out some of them knew the area we were planning to hunt quite well. I’m not going to lie… it sure was helpful to have someone provide you with google earth maps highlighting “spots to look”….

I have been reading up on a lot of other people’s attempts and success on goat hunts, and like them I spent many hours on Google earth studying the area. All I could think was “wow, this area is huge, steep and geez, not sure I should attempt this…”. Regardless of the feelings we made plans, arranged dates that work around our families and work schedules. The date was set, many emails, phone calls and texts were exchanged before we would embark.

Before the hunt I had spent what feels like a pay cheque on ammo… but felt very confident that I could attempt a shot at 400 yards. Being relatively new to hunting and shooting, all I can say is that’s a small target…

Fast forward to the hunt…

Work couldn’t wrap up quick enough, I couldn’t load the truck fast enough… gave the wife, kid and dog a quick good buy and hit the pavement ready for many hours of windshield time. A ferry, crappy lower mainland traffic and a few tanks of fuel I was at my brothers. A brief sleep and we chucked all the gear in the trailer, picked up some groceries, hit the beer store and Timmies… we were off!

On the drive was rain, lots of it, which turned to snow, then back to rain.

Finally we hit the dirt… out come the rifles. Within the first 4 km we see a nice group of white tail bucks, truck and trailer skid to a stop in what seemed like a mile down the road, I jump out, scurry after them but they clearly out smarted me. We chalked that attempt up as a, “don’t feel like dealing with an animal before camp is even set up” excuse. On the way in we saw countless bucks and does and thought this is the best place ever.

The idea was to get camp set up in day light as we had never been to the area before, but crappy pot hole riddled roads, steep and curvy terrain made the drive much longer. Alas… we made it to a couple of the places we ear marked to camp… nothing we felt was good enough so we kept creeping down the road, till we found a goat trail that lead to one of the most beautiful spots I have been to, right on the river and we had it all to ourselves. Once settled, we cracked a few brews, tried to decide what time it got light at and hit the pillows… I wish I could say I laid awake with anticipation for the morning… but the eye lids went heavy quick.

First day was a scouting day… but it didn’t last long until we laid eyes on a half decent white tail buck. We decided to let his little buddy tiny Tim walk.

Dealing that animal took a good part of the day, but we did get a chance to set up the spotters on a few cliffs and rocky mountain tops. No goats seen, but we also had no idea what we were really looking for, after all this was our first few hours behind the spotters looking for the gorilla type beast.

I think there was a typo on the first post the paragraph is posted twice, great story so far!!

I noticed... should be fixed! Thanks.

Day two was spent driving to various vantage points and glassing for elk and goat, but was pretty limited due to cloud cover. We were told that the chance of finding an elk or a goat mid-day was pretty low, but we had nothing better to do, so we kept our eyes peeled, bino’s up and spotters ready. Mid to late afternoon I look in a cut,immediately I’m shaky… horns, and lots of em! I was convinced it was an elk, but not so. The spotter easy confirms it is a dandy muliebuck. The bro and I race back to the truck with anticipation; neither of us had ever taken a 4 pt mule deer. We drive close to the block, I get droppedoff and hoof it up the steep assed hill… not being in super shape made this more work than not. Seemed like every 10feet I’d bump a doe. I wasn’t sure what to do as the deer just stood there looking at me, no alarm bells what so ever. Decision made, I need to get up towhere the buck is. As I zig zag up the hill from stump to stump I finally get to the crest… I slow things down as much as possible when I look over and see my brother not 50 yards away… I was like damit, he drove around and took the easy route…
    Plain as day I can count numerous doe’s, spikes,two points and a small three point. Where is Mr. big? With that many eyes on the hill I was busted… I couldn’t count all the eye balls looking at me! Still no alarms and no drastic movement by the deer… I was shocked. Iwasn’t sure what to do so I took a step… well all hell broke loose… thunder on the mountain as a hundred hooves pounded the turf. They only went 40 yards and stopped, almost like they weren’t sure what they were running from. I was still behind the crest of the hill, I needed to see over it but no cover and many ears and eyeballs on highalert! Well finally the deer really spooked and all hell broke loose and deer were running everywhere, so I rushed the mound looked over and saw my 4 point…. Deer could be seen running, for the tree lines, but as I watched my deer tumble I noticed many other large deer and at least a few were 4 point orbetter. Guess I should have been patient and looked for a big one, not the first one…. Oh well.

During all this action my brother flankedup and over the ridge and came down on the deer in the timber. I hear one solo shot followed by a the famous“booyeah!”

Last edited by bang flop; 01-19-2021 at 11:11 PM. Reason: text edits