Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Maybe you do differ Surry Boy, and that is ok. There are some huge problems with fish. But we need to start actioning as many as we can. Fish farms are slowly getting delt with. Pinnipeds... then we can deal with allocation, which i am sure is what you are getting at.

I take it they will be used for their meat . Think I mentioned that I was offered canned seal once , no thanks the smell turned me off !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Seal=Coyote
    their fur as well as meat.... but hell they could make dog food out of It I wouldn't care.....

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    We differ on what is the biggest problem.
    Hear here ...
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Maybe I could pick up a little extra cash processing seals ! I have knife experience !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Arrow Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    We differ on what is the biggest problem.
    I understand your position.
    Mine is that with the salmon populations at critically low numbers, we better start dealing with the bottlenecks that we can, and in a hurry.
    There will only be time to discuss and negotiate allocation levels IF there is something to allocate.
    Sitting idly by while they wander into extirpation levels does no one any favors, especially so the resource.

Predation by overpopulated pinnipeds has been well proven to be one of the larger negative influences these stocks face. And is something we can deal with now.
    Refusing to do so is a hell of a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Arrow Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    The Lower Fraser Fish Alliance (LFFA) and the Fraser Salmon Management Council (FRSMC) both have now fully endorsed the PBPS IFMP to harvest pinnipeds to bring their populations back into historical balance. They joined a growing list of FN's doing so, including the Nisga’a (Licenses issued) and the Haida (discussions ongoing). At this rate, it is entirely likely that every single coastal FN will be onboard in the next short while.
    Putting that last in perspective:

Fraser Salmon Management Council: This is a group that has a mandate to negotiate directly with DFO and is comprised of 75 Nations on the migratory pathways leading into and including the Fraser River. They negotiate at a Tier 1 level. ( Google for full understanding of their powers).

Lower Fraser Fisheries Alliance: 33 Nations, with the main focus of managing Fraser River stocks.

There exists widespread support beyond FN's of course. SFI, BCWF, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, Amalgamated Conservation Society, UFAWA and many many more.

The groundswell continues to grow...

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    I understand your position.
    Mine is that with the salmon populations at critically low numbers, we better start dealing with the bottlenecks that we can, and in a hurry.
    There will only be time to discuss and negotiate allocation levels IF there is something to allocate.
    Sitting idly by while they wander into extirpation levels does no one any favors, especially so the resource.

Predation by overpopulated pinnipeds has been well proven to be one of the larger negative influences these stocks face. And is something we can deal with now.
    Refusing to do so is a hell of a lot like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Nog

And this is how we need to think. Start knocking off bottlenecks, the ones we can. Or there will be nothing to fight over. Sure maybe you think there are bigger problems... But are they actionable? Aside from the fact that honestly, if you dont think pinnipeds are one of the biggest if not the biggest visible issues killing our salmon you got your head in the sand. Native fishing stands no where near what the seas and sealions are doing, that is fact. You may not see it as fair that they can do what they do, and I wont argue. But you are not going to change that this year. Killing pinnie's that just might happen.

Fact is every time something like this starts, people get all bent out of shape about Race or DFO. If we can use race to beat DFO and bring more fish into the rivers we all win. Users need to work together because no one else is. The government wants us to fight because then they are not held to task. I have to say, it really enrages me people just toss in a bullshit Comment directed at FN. This is my life, it has been for all my life. I have lived it. Commercial, Sport, Guide, Fisheries Bio, Native friends. I walked on my first Commercial troller at 12 years old..... its like watching Hippies kill a Grizz hunt... Like many of us I am, and have always been invested in this, for life. So open your damned eyes.

Thumbs up Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

So far the Nishka have harvested 1500 seals and 500 sea lions in the Nass system.

The collection of Fraser FN's (appx 130 Bands) have put DFO on notice: Issue permits and work with them now, or they will proceed unilaterally.
    DFO running scared...

On other fronts, DFO is moving ahead issuing harvest permits under FSC.

Jason Knight is their new manager for this mission and was hired by Wilf Ludke (DFO Nanaimo).
    The first area to be harvested is the Puntledge and then the Big Qualicum in August.

I would say it is safe to say, the ball is now rolling.

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me