Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Thumbs up BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

December 2, 2020
    The Honourable Bernadette Jordan, P.C., M.P.
    Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard
    200 Kent Street
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1A 0E6

Dear Minister Jordan,

I write you today to make you aware of BCWF’s position regarding proposed control pinniped populations in B.C. In short, the BCWF supports controlled harvest of pinniped’s along B.C.’s coast because there is currently an imbalance between pinnipeds and their prey, namely wild salmon, herring, and other fish stocks of concern.

There is now good science available to give some insight about what has happened to the pinniped populations in B.C. and how these out-of-control populations are affecting many species of fish. Amongst several other scientists, Dr. Carl Walters of the University of British Columbia has produced studies that show that Steller Sea Lions alone consume over 1,000,000 Fraser River sockeye.

Seals are also of great concern. Their population has also expanded wildly in the last 50 years. Though the seals consume far less from a total consumption perspective, seals are calculated to consume over 40% of chinook and coho smolts in the Salish Sea (Gulf of Georgia). In some river systems, it is estimated that seals can consume up to 85% of outbound salmon smolts. With predation levels this high, when these smolts are just heading out to sea, it is hardly surprising that some rivers get any more than a handful of adult fish returning at the end of their life cycle.

The BCWF also recognizes that ocean survival is problematic but there is little opportunity to influence this overriding issue. Controlling numbers of predators of endangered fish stocks is something that your department can control. For example, there are currently IFMP proposals submitted to your ministry for a managed harvest of pinnipeds here in B.C. These proposals are backed by science, would help save these precious fish stocks, would help increase food abundance for the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whales and other species, and would provide employment opportunities for fishers in many coastal communities.

These are all positive steps that could happen with approval of these IFMPs by your ministry. Pinniped removal in rivers in the USA Pacific Northwest indicate immediate, positive effects on returning fish populations.

Though we realize that a harvest of pinnipeds may be controversial in some segments of society, we urge your ministry to approve a managed pinniped harvest in BC.

We hope that you, as Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, have the courage to make this difficult decision and support the managed harvest of pinnipeds in B.C. The future of endangered fish stocks in B.C. is in your hands.

Yours in conservation,

Bill Bosch
    President
    B.C. Wildlife Federation
    101-9706 188th St, Surrey, BC V4N 3M2 | T: 604-882-9988 TF: 1-888-881-2293 F: 604-882-9933 | www.bcwf.bc.ca

Posted with permission...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BCWF Supports Pinniped Harvests in BC

Yah I read that in my BC Outdoors magazine ...Good ...The more jump on this bandwagon the better it is ...Its only common sense..Time to make the lower mainlanders agree to science and cull some pinipeds...Dennis

As long as it's an equal-opportunity harvest, I support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Great move! I wonder though how you would reliably harvest one? I’ve never seen one that didn’t sink after being shot. A guy could make one tag last all year.

I’m happy to see this letter written. Seals in the Fraser/Harrison systems alone have been problematic since the ‘80s with booms on the Harrison covered with them. Not sure what the harvest method will be, but I’d join the party. Last year one popped up in front of my boat and got drilled in the head hard. It spun around a bit then was gone.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    Great move! I wonder though how you would reliably harvest one? I’ve never seen one that didn’t sink after being shot. A guy could make one tag last all year.
    https://www.amsbowfishing.com/produc...eval-per-crank

Murica!

Would this be hunting or fishing? Florida seems to think it's fishing.

Harpoon crossbows aren't even hard to make, seen some using leaf springs and channel iron. Hard to make well, but Greeks and Phoenicians used them often enough.
    Last edited by Surrey Boy; 01-19-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Lets wait and see what the 'traditional' method turns out to be....
    Now that regs have changed in BC to outlaw spears
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Well written letter I hope the ministry goes ahead with it and stop catering to the ignorant latte sipping hippies...

anyone know someone who trains dogfish to blood trail a wounded seal...heheheh

I'd spend money to support that cull.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"