Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Re: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

I’ve got Mystery Ranch, next bag I’d try is SG. If I was guiding or did more expedition hunting I’d get a Barney’s

Some pretty solid advice on this thread thus far, the biggest IMO being try on different packs. Understand its pretty personal.

If you have a curved back, recognize that and filter your search to packs that offer curved frame/stay options... learned that the hard way.

I've been running a Kuiu for 3 years now and while its served me well, packed out quite a few animals with it, with my pretty curved back and that flat frame, anytime I get over 80(ish)lbs it really starts to put stress on my lower/mid back, and no I'm not a super hero that claims to rock 80+lb packs on the regular, but it is shitty for the odd time I have.

I have a Kifaru on order just because of the ability to be relatively custom and have those curved stays. I did try on a few before deciding to pull the trigger, as a Kifaru is pretty much the top of the realm in terms of price but I do think it will be well worth it.

Just for reference, I am 5'9 and about 175lbs right now.

Do not let anyone tell you that Badlands, Alps, Eberlestock are top notch packs. Plain and simple, they are what they are, $400 packs that'll get you by but they definitely are not top notch. I started there and now wish I had just went Kifaru from the start. With that being said, I don't think MR, SG, Exo, Kuiu, etc are bad options either, just needs to be the fit for you.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

In terms or durability I would go Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Exo Mtn Gear, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, you can add Barneys in there but it is a external metal framed pack so kind of a different cat

In terms of Lightweight, Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Exo Mtn Gear, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru

If your a skinny guy all the packs will fit, if your pleasantly plump like me be careful of KUIU as there Lrg/XLrg I cant even get the belt done up, but my Med/Lrg Mystery Ranch fits go figure

If at all possible try some of these packs on as it could save you a lot of grief even if its an used one by another HBC member just get an idea on fitment.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

I had a Marshall and pintler which were good packs. I have just ordered a stone glacier sky 5900, does
    anyone have experience with this pack?

I have a SG sky5900. I packed out two elk and a mtn goat this fall. It performed brilliantly. I am 5'9" 170lbs. Medium belt. x-curve frame.

I have never once wanted more pockets but I have two hip pockets and the internal camp pocket for food and keys.

I think folks are correct that you need to try bags on but I didn't have the ability so I chose a quality bag.
    It seems to fit great but I have no idea what a poorly fit bag feels like.

This bag is so adjustable that I may have too many options. I came from a Horn Hunter Full Curl that I really like as well but I packaged out my first elk in 2019 I found I had issue separating meat from my gear so I upgraded to the SG pack with the bagthat seperates from the frame.

I order it on the X frame also. How many days have you packed in it l? Can you get 7plus days of camp in food in it?

Where are you from on the island? I have a stone glacier 6900 and a friend has an exo 5500. We are in campbell river you could touch them and try on before you buy.

I went through the same search you did last year.

Was using a regular Osprey 65L pack that could barely handle a boned out blacktail on the island. I ended up choosing a Kifaru 44 Mag with the Duplex Lite frame. Great pack!

I've only worn it for day hunts, but it's very comfortable on my frame. And you really can't beat Kifaru on durability and their reputation for good service. It's a big $$ purchase but I found it well worth it.

SG, Kuiu and Exo were all on my shortlist too. But the modular system Kifaru has just really spoke to me.

Iv been on the Kifaru kick a lot of years, their packs have treated me well and I’ll continue to use them. Their customer service in sales has gone for shit tho.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Where are you from on the island? I have a stone glacier 6900 and a friend has an exo 5500. We are in campbell river you could touch them and try on before you buy.
    Hey I sent you a PM. I'm south island but happy to drive further north to get a chance to feel the pack.

Best
    J