Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Hi Everyone

I've read a bunch of the posts on here from previous threads but figured I would start one anyway.

I'm on Van Isl and LOOOVE hunting. I have an older North Face Creston 75L that I've been using but I am going on some multi-day hunts this year and wondering if I should upgrade? Some of the stitching connecting the webbing is starting to break down, and while I think it would be fine for deer, anything heavier I would be worried of a critical failure.

I don't really understand how the elite hunting packs work. Are they a frame that can then be fit with multiple different bags and waist belts? I see some guys selling just bags on here, and some combos with bags and frames.

What would be a good entry level bag for 3-4 day long hunts to haul out deer, potentially elk and moose, sheep and goat? My kit is pretty complete at this point minus a solid hunting pack. I don't mind spending the money on quality -- most of my gear is quite nice and I take good care of it.

I'm 5'9" and about 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

If you go on some online sites like Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Exo Mountain Gear, they all have great videos on how their pack systems work, a cpl links below,

Most better quality pack frames/systems allow you to use the same frame for different size bags

EMG. https://youtu.be/jOLAaYcdh88

Stone Glacier. sky-talus-6900

Mystery ranch. https://youtu.be/b6ZPJd-oWl8
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-19-2021 at 10:20 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

"My name is BigSlapper, I've been hunting for 35+ years and I am a gear junky"...
    I've tried most packs in search of the perfect system (for me) for both packing gear in and hauling meat out. There are two things I've come to learn: 1) no 2 packs are created equal and 2) no 2 human bodies are the same. Stick with the top tier group (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru, etc.) and you will find something that will fit your body. Most are modular, meaning buy the frame to fit and you can swap out different sized bags for your particular applications. Fit will be trial and error ... at least it has been for me ((I'm 6'3"/ 230). I currently use the EXO 3500/5500 system and it works well for me (but so to does the Mystery Ranch system, just a little heavier). For 3-4 days of gear/food and meat hauling capability, I would suggest nothing less than 3500 cubic inches. IMHO, pack fit is far more important than pack weight, especially when putting in 10km+ days.
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    "My name is BigSlapper, I've been hunting for 35+ years and I am a gear junky"...
    I've tried most packs in search of the perfect system (for me) for both packing gear in and hauling meat out. There are two things I've come to learn: 1) no 2 packs are created equal and 2) no 2 human bodies are the same. Stick with the top tier group (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru, etc.) and you will find something that will fit your body. Most are modular, meaning buy the frame to fit and you can swap out different sized bags for your particular applications. Fit will be trial and error ... at least it has been for me ((I'm 6'3"/ 230). I currently use the EXO 3500/5500 system and it works well for me (but so to does the Mystery Ranch system, just a little heavier). For 3-4 days of gear/food and meat hauling capability, I would suggest nothing less than 3500 cubic inches. IMHO, pack fit is far more important than pack weight, especially when putting in 10km+ days.
    Thanks BS. Not sure where on the island one would have access to fitting the frame.

Anyone have success trying different frames on?

Stuff like Exo and Stone Glacier are a little tougher to try on for fit. Exo I believe is still direct to buyer, as is Seek Outside. Stone Glacier is almost the same except you can try that out in Quesnel at Omer's. Mystery Ranch has gone mainstream now with overseas construction and bigger production runs than when they were based out of Bozeman Montana and a lot of the better equipped sports stores carry that line now.

Exo, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Kifaru, any one of those places you can call up and talk to someone who will get you set up with the right setup for what you want to do.

River Sportsman in Campbell River had a good selection of Mystery Ranch last time I was there. At least you could handle one and try it on.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    Welcome to HBC's gear junkies anonymous BigSlapper.....we're here for you buddy if you need support from other gear junkies

Meeting dates are as follows

Mondays-Cabelas
    Tuesdays-Nechako Sports
    Wednesdays-Precision Optics
    Thursdays-Westside Stores
    Fridays-Reliable Gun
    Saturdays-Italian Sporting Goods
    Sundays-Bass Pro
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-19-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesonm View Post
    Hi Everyone

I've read a bunch of the posts on here from previous threads but figured I would start one anyway.

I'm on Van Isl and LOOOVE hunting. I have an older North Face Creston 75L that I've been using but I am going on some multi-day hunts this year and wondering if I should upgrade? Some of the stitching connecting the webbing is starting to break down, and while I think it would be fine for deer, anything heavier I would be worried of a critical failure.

I don't really understand how the elite hunting packs work. Are they a frame that can then be fit with multiple different bags and waist belts? I see some guys selling just bags on here, and some combos with bags and frames.

What would be a good entry level bag for 3-4 day long hunts to haul out deer, potentially elk and moose, sheep and goat? My kit is pretty complete at this point minus a solid hunting pack. I don't mind spending the money on quality -- most of my gear is quite nice and I take good care of it.

I'm 5'9" and about 150 lbs.

Thanks guys!
    The first problem is it’s tough to have a pack that’s good for all the things you mention.
    If you’re going on a multi day backpack style hunt for sheep or goats, the ideal pack is going to be different than if you’re hunting moose or elk from a walltent camp.
    An internal frame mountaineering style pack is generally better for a backpack style (sheep/goats) hunt because they’re relatively light, streamlined, designed to be comfortable for daily wearing with a load. If you get a good one it’ll be capable of carrying your camp, deboned meat and some horns strapped onto it. But they might not be the best choice for carrying large moose quarters out of the bush to a road, or strapping big awkward sets of antlers to them. A sturdy external trame might be better for that.
    Think of a sleek and comfortable 4x4 sport utility compared to a big awkward rough diesel longbox. Different purposes.
    My advice would be to figure out which need is going to be most important and start there.

For me I mostly use it for backpack hunts so I’ve been using a good mountaineering pack for 11 years. I don’t hunt moose anymore, but when I do hunt caribou, I accept that my mountaineering pack is going to be a little awkward trying to get those antlers tied on.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 01-19-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Finding the right pack can be a challenge. In my case I started out by purchasing slightly used packs from different manufacturers. I would load them with bags of pellets or sand and get them to 60 pounds. From there I would do some training and some hill climbs and descents. IMO thats the best way to truly test a pack. Over the course of about 3 years I found what works for me.

I should have added that a Camptrails style pack is hard to beat for hunting out of Walltent/truck camp. Because of the one piece waist belt, I find them more comfortable with heavy loads than packs that use a more traditional lumbar pad with two hip belts. They are reasonably tough. They are great for hauling quarters and antlers out of the bush. And they are cheap so it’s not such a big deal if it gets stolen out of your camp or truck.

And you could have a good internal frame pack for backpack hunts.