Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Re: Hunting Pack - Options upon Options

Super helpful thanks everyone. I was able to obtain a 10% off discount for Kifaru. Waiting to hear back from EMG. And unfortunately my 42% off with MR is only good for shipping within the US -- bummer.

Tatonka is a solid option there cheaper and get the job done.

We have Kuiu, Exo, SG and MR in my group. I have tried them all but the SG. MR was the most comfortable with the Exo a very close second. I ran a Kuiu setup for a while with zero issues and just wanted to try something else so I ended up with an Exo. I can't speak from personal experience but I have heard excellent things about Kifaru.

As for size. I found a frame that allows you to switch out packs is great. I have also found that the new Exo 6400 can be folded right down and ran as a day pack.

I would personally find it tough to fit 3-4 days of gear and food in anything smaller than a 4000 if you are hunting.
    WSSBC
    CCFR

For heavy heavy loads I’ve read that barneys lead the pack depending on the person ofcourse but a big portion of guides in Alaska use those packs and will never switch to a different brand, big upside is the frame is external so it’s a bit better if your hauling out meat the bags also go up to 7900 cui which is good enough for any hunt longer than 5 days and even then would probably be a bit big but it’s always better to have more space and not need it then to not have enough space and need it.

On a budget, look to buy used. As said there are a lot of great packs, but, like boots, fit is where its at. Something like a used eberlestock J107 or just one is affordable and useful. These can be found for $250-300.00 It wont carry weight as well as pricier packs but many a man has used this pack! The mystery ranch marshall is also a great option and they can be found for around $500.00
    Last edited by swampthing; 01-19-2021 at 07:16 PM.

Big Slapper. Your link does not seem to work for me ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    "My name is BigSlapper, I've been hunting for 35+ years and I am a gear junky"...
    I've tried most packs in search of the perfect system (for me) for both packing gear in and hauling meat out. There are two things I've come to learn: 1) no 2 packs are created equal and 2) no 2 human bodies are the same. Stick with the top tier group (Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, EXO, Kifaru, etc.) and you will find something that will fit your body. Most are modular, meaning buy the frame to fit and you can swap out different sized bags for your particular applications. Fit will be trial and error ... at least it has been for me ((I'm 6'3"/ 230). I currently use the EXO 3500/5500 system and it works well for me (but so to does the Mystery Ranch system, just a little heavier). For 3-4 days of gear/food and meat hauling capability, I would suggest nothing less than 3500 cubic inches. IMHO, pack fit is far more important than pack weight, especially when putting in 10km+ days.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I have a Kifaru EMR 2 with bikini frame. I’ve had the pack since 2014 with zero issues it’s bombproof.

Well Don, you above all others on here know the disease ... 80% is knowing you have a problem, the other 20% is doing something about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Welcome to HBC's gear junkies anonymous BigSlapper.....we're here for you buddy if you need support from other gear junkies

Meeting dates are as follows

Mondays-Cabelas
    Tuesdays-Nechako Sports
    Wednesdays-Precision Optics
    Thursdays-Westside Stores
    Fridays-Reliable Gun
    Saturdays-Italian Sporting Goods
    Sundays-Bass Pro
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlapper View Post
    Well Don, you above all others on here know the disease ... 80% is knowing you have a problem, the other 20% is doing something about it!
    You bet buddy Im probably one of the worst......
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

i would also add Barneys packs to the list, not as light weight as the other brands mentioned (off top of my head my pack is 7.5 lbs), but it's a workhorse
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster