Thread: Mackenzie Area

Mackenzie Area

Hey guys, so I’m looking for some general info on the hunting and fishing opportunities around Mackenzie.
    It looks like I’ll probably be moving there for work for at least a couple of years and would appreciate any info you guys have before I commit. From what I’ve been able to gather so far, it seems that there’s pretty much no deer to speak of, an ok moose population, and a few elk here and there plus lots of black bears. Without an LEH how hard is the moose hunting around there? I saw that most of the region has an open spike/fork season and that 7-23,7-16 have a calf season, are those regions pretty overrun by hunters from Prince George come fall? What’s the access like? Hard to tell on Google Earth the condition of the roads or if you would need to access some spots via the rivers.
    Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Re: Mackenzie Area

McKenzie is a Gateway to some very good big Game hunting opportunities especially if you own a Boat or if you have access to a Floatplane which allows you to avoid dealing with the anoying types from the "Stewards" of the Land community. Be careful with Williston Lake which can get ugly in a hurry.

Cheers

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Re: Mackenzie Area

My experience up there is 30 yrs ago so not a ton of help but it was great moose country in any direction back then. A lot of black bears and a lot of wolves was my experience, grizzlies here and there too. As far as avoiding crowds its huge country you shouldn't have much trouble. Williston lk has some really good bull trout fishing at creek mouths early summer. If I was to live up there I'd definitely want a boat.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this