Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Tent on Ice.....Floor?

Wall Tent on Ice.....Floor?

Good Day all.

I've purchased an 8x10 Deluxe Wall Tent.

I thought it would be cool to camp right on the Ice.
    This would allow for Ice Fishing right inside the Tent while cooking up Bacon N Eggs!!

The one Challenge is....how to keep the Ice from melting while running the Wood Stove.
    I was thinking the EVA Foam Interlocking Pads.
    Anyone have experience/thoughts on doing this?

Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wall Tent on Ice.....Floor?

Indoor outdoor carpet.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Plywood and aluminum sheething
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

I wouldn't think Outdoor Carpet has enough R-Value. Experience?
    Do you mean Plywood and Metal Sheathing below the Stove?
    How about the rest of the Floor?

I would buy a couple of packages of that interlocking foam tiles that you use for kids play areas, light, cheap and insulating. I would be more concerned about securing the tent to the ice.

XPEIER

x2 for interlocking foam tiles, most stores have 3/4" but you can find 1" and 1.5" stuff on amazon, although it does get pricey....I was actually just price checking ordering some last night for upcoming trip

I've also used a tarp, and outdoor carpet/old blanket on top, way cheaper and works good enough, but it does still get slippery that way soon as you get water under the tarp

when you setup, don't shovel the snow down to the ice, works better to compact it down....it really helps to use an old piece of rigid insulation underneath the wood stove (I forgot at home in the pic below), or block it up with some firewood

Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Nice set-up there BRvalley !

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    I wouldn't think Outdoor Carpet has enough R-Value. Experience?
    Do you mean Plywood and Metal Sheathing below the Stove?
    How about the rest of the Floor?

Yes, I have plywood floors and aluminum sheeting below the stove for some insulation.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Thanks for the replies guys.

I agree, experience has shown me when Camping in my SO Cimarron to compact snow vs Shovel it away.

As far as Anchoring the Tent I would drill an angled hole then drive Tent Peg into said Hole.

For the Floor I was thinking Interlocking EVA Foam Tiles, Tarp, then Carpet near Cots, maybe just Welcome Mats on main traffic areas to avoid slips.

We're headed on an Ice Fishing Trip at the end of the Month, will be camping on ground not Ice. Shovel Snow away and spread Tree Bows or just compact Snow?

Thanks again for the replies.

if you're anchoring on ice, definitely want to use the screw in anchors....drive in pegs don't hold too long in the wind or any mild weather the holes will melt out quickly

if you're anchoring on frozen ground, just get some proper heavy spikes and pound them in, no need to drill them, vice grips help to spin them out...or you can get the fancy spikes that are cast with a fitting to help with the guy lines/twisting them out

took me a while to splurge on these anchors, but they are worth it imo, makes life easier for sure

https://www.amazon.ca/Triwonder-Forg...3&sr=8-15&th=1
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster