Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My near disaster with a squib and rusted ammo

Re: My near disaster with a squib and rusted ammo

Barrel obstructions was one of the reasons break action guns became popular for target shooting...

I remember old time shooters on the trap line looking down the bore after ejecting a fired round, before loading another...

Back then the base wad of a shot shell sometimes blew out of the case and part way down the barrel... (this happened after several reloads)
    . . . . .If I don't respond to your postings, maybe it is because you are on my "IGNORE" list
    . . . . . . . . . . . . I don't see the garbage you write. It's a wonderful tool

I never knew this is something that could happen. Now I do.

Thank goodness you didn't send another shell.

Quote Originally Posted by guntech View Post
    Barrel obstructions was one of the reasons break action guns became popular for target shooting...

I remember old time shooters on the trap line looking down the bore after ejecting a fired round, before loading another...

Back then the base wad of a shot shell sometimes blew out of the case and part way down the barrel... (this happened after several reloads)
    Funny now that you mention that I remember some of the old timers (way back when) blowing through there actions on their pumps and autos after each shot to see if the smoke cleared the barrel. Makes sense now
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-18-2021 at 11:51 PM.

I've had to use the truck antenna more than once to clear out a plugged barrel.

willow/hot dog stick too.

I've re-racked and pulled a few times in 3gun expecting my gun to blow up...so far so good, haven't gone for ice-cream.

Worst shotgun shells I had were really old, dried out paper ones. I always run old antique lead ammo that nobody wants. Spring calving is crow/raven season on the ranch. The old paper shells were sooooo old there'd be a confetti cloud in the sky after pounding away! Most would hang fire, kind of fizzle delay, enough to make a miss.

Best ones are the old PowerPistons, they are even better than the old imperials.

Drillbit, I did do a little looking around for a stick laying around .. if I had had a mojo pole that may even have worked but it was very slow day anyway so decided to just pack it up and help out my friends.

Had more than a few wet hulls and wads stuck in the barrel while hunting in the bog. Thankfully always had a pocket knife to whittle down a stick to punch it out
    Pull the trigger all the way back.