Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Re: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Put up a bear fence around your camp try to hunt with two people and alway assume there is a grizzle near you meaning always be alert carry bear spray ,bear banger at night if packing meat out leave the rifle at camp and use a 12 gauge shotgun using 3 inch slugs and SSG get a North star light that has the red dot to put at the end of the barrow of the shotgun. Have hiegpowered head lamps as well to see good at night.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 08-26-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I like these tips ! I think if it’s only 2 of you one for sure carries the 12 gauge while he has his rifle strapped to his pack . While packing out a large moose one year and several trips back and forth to get all in the truck we left a Coleman white gas lamp burning hung near the downed moose .
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Put up a bear fence around your camp try to hunt with two people and alway assume there is a grizzle near you meaning always be alert carry bear spray ,bear banger at night if packing meat out leave the rifle at camp and use a 12 gauge shotgun using 3 inch slugs and SSG get a North star light that has the red dot to put at the end of the barrow of the shotgun. Have hiegpowered head lamps as well to see good at night.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I read in a pat Ferguson book to leave your sweaty shirt or underwear hanging from a stick so your smell is present. I’ve only had to leave 1 animal over night , can’t tell from experience if this works or not. Seemed to work for him all those years.

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I have several tips when hunting in grizzly country whether it was hunting sheep moose elk caribou deer.
    I wont include them all at once here but spread them over a course of time.

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years ive been hunting in the back country where the kill was not readily visible from a distance.

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or come back for another load of meat back packing . I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use one of my walking sticks put a ribbon or plastic bag on it on it and stick it in the meat . When I return im cautious and look for the pole if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware its very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat. it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 20 years ago could of used that advice .He had shot a moose at kluchesi lake , while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . He managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. He unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away and he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . when he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for Him a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt. he basically saved his life he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
    So back to my Tip. what happened to friend happened in seconds if he had a pole and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. so if you have limited visibility to your kill this tip might help. . Ill post another one shortly and if you Have a tip throw it in.

post of mine few years ago

Awesome tip. Thanks Mr. Now I just have to shoot a critter so I can test this out. Smart man you are!

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    I read in a pat Ferguson book to leave your sweaty shirt or underwear hanging from a stick so your smell is present. I’ve only had to leave 1 animal over night , can’t tell from experience if this works or not. Seemed to work for him all those years.
    Not underwear but we have joked about it, used the T-shirt twice. The first time we were up a hill looking back at where we just gutted a moose, watched the bear sneak up on it then turn and run away. He did this about 6 times then disappeared. When we got back 3 hours later he was still there the moose untouched. As a bonus he packed a nice trail between the moose and the beaver pond where we got the canoe up to.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

Killed a moose up the Muskwa. Packed out half of it over night with two buddies back to our camp. We put our sweaty t shirts and clothes on the rack and around to rest of the meat before we left. Pretty sure we pissed around the area too. Went back early in the morning with guns loaded and approached slowly on very high alert. The only critter on the carcass was a Martin. He must of thought he won meat lottery! Not saying our method worked but it's something and we did stink pretty bad. I think if I was to kill another big critter and had the time. I would pack up the meat in game bags and take at least a few hundred yards away from carcass. I would put it somewhere open and where I could see it the next morning when coming back in. Even somewhere u could glass down onto it. I would still again leave some clothes behind. The long branch with the flag is a great idea as well. I would do that for sure if I could. Especially in thick bush. Having a ragging fire can keep animals away too if you can get a good one going where u are. Great post. My new elk spot if full of Grizz. Have them on my trail cams.