Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Re: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    I read in the Book Gone Huntin that the Author Pat Ferguson would hang a smelly item of clothing on the Carcass. I bet my 5 day old Boxers would keep anything away, maybe attract an eager ole Cow Moose tho ��
    Good book. If I recall he also used to take a pee on the area surrounding the carcass... In his 50+ years hunting and never having an issue he could either be the luckiest guy around or maybe there is something to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Great tip

Its a daunting feeling returning to a kill, especially when you hunt alone and /or in the dark. I dressed/packed an elk during bow season several years back well into the night with no firearm and there was an agressive bear in the area. I said Id never do that again.

Well, I sort of did. Killed a Rosie bull on a local LEH. Was dressing him out, heard a snap and there was a young black bear right behind me. Once again, no gun, no spray. Yelling and screaming spooked him but he stayed withing 50 yards until I was done.

Like some others, I now carry a pack alarm in my bag. Takes about 5 minutes to snap up a 50'x50' perimeter so you can concentrate on dressing your kill. Was scary how close he got, and I still cringe to think how bad it would of been in the dark.

Used this last year on an early season solo elk hunt when I shot my bull in the last hour of legal light 4km from my truck. Once my bull was dressed, I took down the alarm, ferried the bagged meat100m from the gut pile and set up the alarm on them.

Another thing I now do, especially if alone or in the dark is talk to myself or sing a song. I want any predator to know there is more there then just a gutpile.
    Truth be told the pack alarm won’t do much to afford you extra time in the case of a griz coming in to claim a kill. Once mind is set and committed they typically come hard and fast especially if you are hunched over a kill on your own.....just look like another critter feasting on it. Good idea for blackies but wouldn't rely on it much for griz....I have found BBs tend to sneak in and hold up as you describe however one in poor condition might also be tad more determined. A good idea but can also give false sense of security. I tend to stand up and have a good look and listen for about 30secs about every 1-2 minutes. My ears have saved me some grief more than once.
    Last edited by northof49; 01-19-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Truth be told the pack alarm won’t do much to afford you extra time in the case of a griz coming in to claim a kill. Once mind is set and committed they typically come hard and fast especially if you are hunched over a kill on your own......

fair enough and believe me, I have no illusions that all bears will sneak in low and slow or bolt when the alarm goes off. I completely understand and accept the risk of what I doing. But I'll take any and as much warning as I can get.

What about those probable electric fences that are used for in bear country. Would those be enough to keep a grizzly off of a kill?

Pack alarm has me intrigued. My only concern would be if a bear was to come in across from the unit I believe I would stand up and look at the noise therefor turning my back to the oncoming danger. Some practice with the device and your reactions might help. Has anyone used one successfully?

Met a family in a travel trailer in a griz-rich part of the province in 2018. They said having a bright light on in camp all night kept the grizzly bears away.

Is this true?

I slept in my wall tent in two different spots that trip without incident (No bright night light) , but while hunting my buddy had a face-to-face with a big momma and three cubs the size of your normal black bear.

Great tips and advice.
    So for those that have faced a grizz sitting on your kill when you return.
    is there any hope in trying to run it off, or do you basically have to walk away and leave your meat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgehunter604 View Post
    Great tips and advice.
    So for those that have faced a grizz sitting on your kill when you return.
    is there any hope in trying to run it off, or do you basically have to walk away and leave your meat?
    I have two friends that had grizzlies charge when they were on a dead animal. Two different incidents. Both shot and killed the grizzly in close quarters. I am quite sure their answer to your question would be leave meat ASAP!!

Well I would probably piss my pants if a Grizzly was coming in real fast on me , so once he smelled the piss he would slam on the brakes and retreat ! But yes I have heard this !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post
    Good book. If I recall he also used to take a pee on the area surrounding the carcass... In his 50+ years hunting and never having an issue he could either be the luckiest guy around or maybe there is something to it.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Well I would probably piss my pants if a Grizzly was coming in real fast on me , so once he smelled the piss he would slam on the brakes and retreat ! But yes I have heard this !
    Arctic Lake
    When charged, a whole different part of yourself comes to light. My son and I were charged about 10 years back by a large black boar. I stayed behind so he could get out safely and was able to stop this bear. It is an experience that you will play many times to see if you would have done something different. For me, I wanted my son out of harms way, that’s all I cared about was his safety. It worked out and I have another story and experience to share.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.