Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Hunting tips in grizzly country

I have several tips when hunting in grizzly country whether it was hunting sheep moose elk caribou deer.
    I wont include them all at once here but spread them over a course of time.

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years ive been hunting in the back country where the kill was not readily visible from a distance.

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or come back for another load of meat back packing . I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use one of my walking sticks put a ribbon or plastic bag on it on it and stick it in the meat . When I return im cautious and look for the pole if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware its very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat. it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 20 years ago could of used that advice .He had shot a moose at kluchesi lake , while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . He managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. He unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away and he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . when he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for Him a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt. he basically saved his life he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
    So back to my Tip. what happened to friend happened in seconds if he had a pole and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. so if you have limited visibility to your kill this tip might help. . Ill post another one shortly and if you Have a tip throw it in.

Last edited by stoneramhunter; 01-17-2021 at 11:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting tips in grizzly country

That is a great tip. I work in grizz country but don’t typically hunt in it. For bears in general, I try to move the meat a few hundred metres from the kill site into an open area. The pole is a great idea to see if something is messing with the meat.

Great tips guys, thank you...glad your friend survived there Stoneram...where I usually hunt fortunately there is not a very big griz pop.....

Thanks for sharing, great tip.

Good tip thanks !!

Thanks Stoneramhunter can't wait for some more great tips.

Great tip. We will flag brush tops in tight areas around carcass and always try to gain a high point to view. Once in closer I try to throw a few rocks to see if anything moves. Been charged a few times and it’s not fun.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

I carry 2 Pack Alarms in my pack when elk hunting. When an animal is down a perimeter gets set up so I know if something is coming in.

Excellent tip srh!

Though they get joked about, bear bells are something that’s often on my pack and my dogs. Not so much above timberline, but their certainly making noise on our way up through the timber. Who knows, maybe they'v saved us an issue and we will never know.

It’s a difficult task raising a good dog, but with persistence, their an amazing tool/hunting partner who’s always watching your back too.

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    Excellent tip srh!

Though they get joked about, bear bells are something that’s often on my pack and my dogs. Not so much above timberline, but their certainly making noise on our way up through the timber. Who knows, maybe they'v saved us an issue and we will never know.

It’s a difficult task raising a good dog, but with persistence, their an amazing tool/hunting partner who’s always watching your back too.
    I’ve run into guys with dogs/packs and have been impressed with how good they behave. And nothing like a sharp set of ears by your side.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.