Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Re: Hunting tips in grizzly country

Quote Originally Posted by stoneramhunter View Post
    I have several tips when hunting in grizzly country whether it was hunting sheep moose elk caribou deer.
    I wont include them all at once here but spread them over a course of time.

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years ive been hunting in the back country where the kill was not readily visible from a distance.

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or come back for another load of meat back packing . I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use one of my walking sticks put a ribbon or plastic bag on it on it and stick it in the meat . When I return im cautious and look for the pole if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware its very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat. it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 20 years ago could of used that advice .He had shot a moose at kluchesi lake , while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . He managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. He unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away and he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . when he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for Him a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt. he basically saved his life he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
    So back to my Tip. what happened to friend happened in seconds if he had a pole and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. so if you have limited visibility to your kill this tip might help. . Ill post another one shortly and if you Have a tip throw it in.

as asked to post again

Quote Originally Posted by waserwolf View Post
    I read in the Book Gone Huntin that the Author Pat Ferguson would hang a smelly item of clothing on the Carcass. I bet my 5 day old Boxers would keep anything away, maybe attract an eager ole Cow Moose tho ��
    I tried that about 5 yers ago, Lost half a mountain goat to a griz,,didnt know he was even around, I actually hung the jacket on the game bags because we were seeing wolves,,yup kept the wolves away, or maybe the bear did,,lol

Next year I may be hunting Elk where there are Grizzly, if I were to carry each sack of meat 70-100 yards or so where I can keep my eye on it at all times. Going back and forth for each meat sack so as to do it all in one trip instead of coming back and forth to the truck twice or five times, have any of you guys had problems like that while your traveling with the meat?

Quote Originally Posted by TheObserver View Post
    Next year I may be hunting Elk where there are Grizzly, if I were to carry each sack of meat 70-100 yards or so where I can keep my eye on it at all times. Going back and forth for each meat sack so as to do it all in one trip instead of coming back and forth to the truck twice or five times, have any of you guys had problems like that while your traveling with the meat?
    That is a lot of work more than i would like to handle taking the packs off and on numerous times when likley the distances are a mile or over unless you shoot it just a short distance from your vehicle. once the pack is on my back im even loath to rest on the way out lol

That is a lot of work more than i would like to handle taking the packs off and on numerous times when likley the distances are a mile or over unless you shoot it just a short distance from your vehicle. once the pack is on my back im even loath to rest on the way out lol
    I know it is a lot, but it will be hard the other way too. Figure I could cut some time by doing it that way. I probably sling the quarters over my back and just keep the antler and meat bag with the loins, tenderloins, rib and neck meat tied to the pack so that I keep that one bag on there and only have to take/put on the pack once every mini trip
    Last edited by TheObserver; 08-25-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Unless I just debone the whole thing which is probably what may end up happening

ive deboned alot of elk and packed out on my back. Ive never packed out the meat and rack in just two trips. Meat on a mature elk is probably 200 pounds and up and the the rack i think with skull is probably 40 pounds but if you plan to cape it well its alot more. Maybe im just a sissy and take more trips im usualy a 3 or 4 trip pack for me. I know guys who will slam a good hundred pounds on their back but they dont want to stop and take it off and on that is a ordeal in itself. if they rest tough to get back up as well lol.

ive deboned alot of elk and packed out on my back. Ive never packed out the meat and rack in just two trips. Meat on a mature elk is probably 200 pounds and up and the the rack i think with skull is probably 40 pounds but if you plan to cape it well its alot more. Maybe im just a sissy and take more trips im usualy a 3 or 4 trip pack for me. I know guys who will slam a good hundred pounds on their back but they dont want to stop and take it off and on that is a ordeal in itself. if they rest tough to get back up as well lol.
    If I do get an Elk this year it will be my first one, I could very well be underestimating my work and plan may not go, I may have to hang it all in a tree and make 4 trips.

What do you figure a bone in Elk quarter weighs on a 6 point, just general figure for a rear and a front?

I wanted to do it in a leap frog fashion like that every 70-100 yards so its one big trip, I would only have one quarter on my back at a time no crazy weight or doubling up or anything like that and I can see it the whole time but if its just too much I will of course scrap that idea lol
    Last edited by TheObserver; 08-26-2022 at 05:54 AM.

Over the years have typically found them to run about 140-150 bone in no hide. I split btwn 4/5 and they end up pretty even weight for front and back

Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post
    Good book. If I recall he also used to take a pee on the area surrounding the carcass... In his 50+ years hunting and never having an issue he could either be the luckiest guy around or maybe there is something to it.
    We hunt elk in grizz country and the fellows pee around camp, we still have grizzly and black bears coming into the camp area. So I'd say that's an old wives tale.