Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Government Hunting Data

Re: Government Hunting Data

Quote Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
    I am not sure what that site is based off of. I was given that site by a Moe biologist. I can certainly find out though if you would like.
    Yeah, if you could that would be nice .... because some of it makes no sense.

For example, it says there was only 1 leh goat killed in 3-32 In 2016 and a total of 4 resident hunters.

I am sure more than 4 guys hunted 3-32 for goats and I'd be really surprised if just 1 goat was killed in all of 3-32 for the whole season!

They gave out a total of 13 draws for leh goat in the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yeah, if you could that would be nice .... because some of it makes no sense.

For example, it says there was only 1 leh goat killed in 3-32 In 2016 and a total of 4 resident hunters.

I am sure more than 4 guys hunted 3-32 for goats and I'd be really surprised if just 1 goat was killed in all of 3-32 for the whole season!
    Haven't applied for LEH goat, nor hunted them obviously, but imagine it's among the more difficult critters to bag. Would be a lot of climbing involved in gnarly terrain. Spotted a group while back country ski touring in the south east of the province one winter. We were pretty high & the goats were higher on a rocky ridge in the distance. Retrieving a downed goat might be another adventure to test your mettle. A fellow that has guided us on ski tours a number of times is also an accomplished climber. He related a story of goat hunters that hired him to climb to a small ledge where a goat they shot ended up. He got to the goat alright, but quickly realized there was no way to get it up, so he simply kicked it off the ledge. Not much left for the hunters once they finally got to the carcass.

Photo taken 17 Feb 2012. We are climbing below the summit of Mt. Lindsay at Boulder Hut Adventures. Their tenure borders the Purcell Wilderness Conservancy. Zoomed photo, they were difficult to spot with the naked eye. Near Berglein Lake which is in the drainage below these peaks, a biologist had hung a goat hide to attract wolverine.

No zoom photo gives better idea of distance. Would be a long haul to get close enough for a shot & they'd likely be gone by the time a hunter got near enough.

View south across Berglein Lake. Mt. Lindsay is a long climb to the left, east. MU 4-20 Goat country!
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-22-2021 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Only for the kootenays
    If you choose the Mapping tab at top of page it will bring up a map of entire province.

Yes, it's a tough draw to fill .... that's not my point. Ny point is that even the hunter numbers and days dont seem clear. Where are they getting those numbers.

When I CId my goat no one ever asked how many days I hunted. So it's possible the data is compiled from CI reports and self reported questionnaires as well??

And look at 3-33 for an even worse example: total of 74 LEH given for 2016 - 33 hunters - 4 kills.

That, again, seems way too low of a harvest rate to me.

For the same year 3-33 there were also more goats killed (7) than non-resident hunters in total (6). Is shooting 2 goats even allowed for a non resident?