Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor Hunting Regs

Minor Hunting Regs

Just making sure that I have the rules right. A 16 yr old, who has a hunting license and a minor PAL can borrow a hunting rifle and hunt without an adult?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Minor Hunting Regs

No I do not believe that is correct, all I know is that the hunter has to be 18 years of age and have a pal to be able to hunt on they’re own with a fire arm.
    Last edited by Kos; 01-16-2021 at 07:25 PM.

Correct a person under 18 years of age must be under the direct supervision of an adult. Matters not if they have a hunting license or a junior license

Quote Originally Posted by Kos View Post
    No I do not believe that is correct, all I know is that the hunter has to be 18 years of age and have a pal to be able to hunt on they’re own with a fire arm.
    Correct...........

And the Adult they are hunting with has to have a hunting license as well until they reach the age of 18

Thanks for that. I wonder what the point of the minor license is then?

www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/minors

i took a look at the RCMP link and it appears to say that the licensed minor may borrow a non restricted rifle for the purpose of hunting. It differentiates with a minor who is not licensed who must be accompanied by a licensed adult.

Typical government website - clear as mud.
    Last edited by nelsonob1; 01-17-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post

i took a look at the RCMP link and it appears to say that the licensed minor may borrow a non restricted rifle for the purpose of hunting. It differentiates with a minor who is not licensed who must be accompanied by a licensed adult.

The link is federal and relates to the PAL.
    Of course the provinces each have their own hunting regulations that differ...

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post

The minor license does not require the minor to take the CORE program but hunts on supervisers tags

Quote Originally Posted by 3centsolution View Post
    The minor license does not require the minor to take the CORE program but hunts on supervisers tags
    That is for hunting only. The license the OP is asking about is for firearms possession. Nelson, I’d put in a call to the CFO in Victoria or the firearms liaison at your local RCMP detachment. The way I read the reg you posted is that if a minor has that license, and a valid full credential hunting license, they CAN borrow a rifle or shotgun for hunting. I think with that license and a full credential hunting license they don’t need to be under your “direct” supervision. Meaning, you can be more than a few yards apart. I DON’T think it allows them to be completely on their own, but again, I’d call the actual experts instead of taking our word for it.
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

I think you have it right Red. The PAL allows my son to use the gun without direct supervision. To be onside with the hunting regs he still has to be with an adult to hunt but within eye sight only. Ill check with the RCMP as you suggest but that allows him to have some independence - he can sit 200 yards away on the same slope as long as can see him.