Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mule Deer Hunting

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

2020 Mule Deer Hunting

Well I put in a few days in area 8 and did see some nice buck but we never got in on them for a shot, and quite a few days in area 3-30 for Mule Deer, 2 weeks in Oct and 2 weeks in November and a week in Dec,

I seen a pile of smaller bucks spikes, 2 points and 3 points, and very few 4 points and the ones I did see were very small rack wise,

I was a little disappointed as my great Nephew came hunting with me in mid Oct and I figured it would be a shoe in for a small buck but I/we never even seen a legal buck with him in four days of hunting ? we did see a lot of does with two and sometimes 3 fawns which was great to see.
    Any bucks we did see were behind fences or after shooting light

I hunted the first two weeks of November and did see lots of rut activity but again only small bucks chasing does, fast forward to early December and on the morning of Dec 4th driving into my parking spot I see a 4 pt with 3 does and he limping badly so I take a cpl pictures of him park and go off hunting for the morning, thinking that poor bugger isn't going to live the night !

soon as I started walking I was seeing deer, a few small bucks, lots of movement so I sit down with a great vantage point and sure enough small bucks walking every which way. things quiet down about 10am so I walk out to the truck and just as I get to the road I see a truck stopped so I unload my rifle and walk towards him.

Its a CO Bob Butcher from Lilooet, we bs for a bit he checks me for tags, hell of a nice guy and I tell him about the 4 pt with a limp and he raises an eyebrow at me and says why didn't you shoot it ?....it probably won't live the night he says, wasn't what Im looking for........but I start to think he's probably right maybe I should have shot it.....

Ok off to town for lunch this day...Chinese Food and fuel up and head back to my fav spot for the evening,

I get out of the truck and walk for a bit and come across 3 bedded does, they look familiar so I stand and watch as they slowly get up and start to walk away up a knoll.....they keep stopping and looking back so I chamber a shell and watch sure enough out stumbles the Gimpy 4 point from this morning, he has a terrible limp and start to hobble after the doe's and they stood waiting for him, he stands there looking up the hill at the doe's...............he's 130 yards away and one shot through the heart with the 160gr AB out of the new 280AI and it drops in his tracks.

I give him a cpl minutes and he doesn't move so I walk over to him and cut my tag and take a few pictures as he lays, the poor bugger is in terrible shape, his left front leg/shoulder bones are poking out through his hide, his right leg has been broken and healed straight and doesn't bend at the knee, I dress him and his heart is blown to pieces, the 160gr Accubond went in and out.

When I skin him out his left shoulder blade was broken and somewhat healed on top of itself, the whole left shoulder was green and pussy, he didn't have an ounce of fat on him,

Its amazing how tough these things are, Im surprised he lived as long as he did, it appears that he was hit by a car/truck as his front end was busted up really bad.

I had a cpl steaks the next day for lunch and he was pretty tangy !

7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2020 Mule Deer Hunting

That is a good thing you shot him.Mercy kill.

Awesome, well done on taking out that buck before the preds did, congrats!

I've found for strong meats that sometimes sitting it in water/pepper/vinegar over night can help get rid of that flavour.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Awesome, well done on taking out that buck before the preds did, congrats!

I've found for strong meats that sometimes sitting it in water/pepper/vinegar over night can help get rid of that flavour.
    I tried a cpl more for dinner and it was still pretty tinny, probably from the trauma the poor bugger went through,

View from the front deck of our cabin,

My great Nephew out for a stroll with me

We came across this odd looking rock after glassing six bedded does.

Great story I very much enjoyed reading it. The fact that you were able to harvest a deer and it happens the be the deer that was suffering was memorable. Im a pilot as well owned several bushplanes but currently flying a comanche 260 not for long though miss flying up north to go sheep hunting. Going to sell the plane and get back into a bush plane. have a great day and be safe.

Great writeup WF ! By the way I Hollowed out that rock years ago as for a shelter in a BAD snow storm while hunting your area when i lived up at Bridge Lake ! RJ

That’s a cool looking rock. A little strange that it’s hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by db View Post
    No its Not ! I Chipped out all that rock ! RJ

the spot on this buck where the bones were through the hide

A frosty cpl of days in November

A few more small bucks

Quote Originally Posted by db View Post
    Not only that it was smooth on the inside like it was polished or sanded, really strange for sure, Im going with meteorite !!!