Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mule Deer Hunting

Re: 2020 Mule Deer Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Awesome, well done on taking out that buck before the preds did, congrats!

I've found for strong meats that sometimes sitting it in water/pepper/vinegar over night can help get rid of that flavour.
    Agree!
    Remember a grizz killing an elk 3 month ago that had a leg problem. Posted this before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzo2Ie7B7CI&app=desktop

Remember shooting a buck from less than a hundred yards with my 300 Win mag near Gaspard Creek. He ran for quite a ways down the hill before succumbing. Knew he was hit because his run was noisy.
    Like the photo shows it was also a heart shot. He was watching me before I shot him so the adrenaline prevented an instant drop.

Also Eve's aunt uses buttermilk to get rid the strong taste from deer & sometimes moose.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Nice job WF.

Mind sharing the make and model of that there pee shooter of yours?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Vini View Post
    Nice job WF.

Mind sharing the make and model of that there pee shooter of yours?
    The Blue/grey one that I shot the deer with is a 280 Ackley, built by Gary Flach, Defiance Anti Action, 23 inch #1 contour Fluted 1-9 twist Benchmark barrel, Wildcat CF Ultralight Stock with palm swell and high comb added, Triggertech Trigger, Alloy bottom metal, Talleys and VX3 4.5-14x40 30mm cds scope 6lbs 4oz scoped,

The second one beige in colour is a 6.5 PRC also built by Gary Flach, Kimber Montana 8400 (wsm donor rifle) 23 inch #1 contour fluted Benchmark 1-8 twist barrel, Montana Stock has had a palm swell added to it, Talleys and Zeiss V4 4-16x44 scope.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

A buddy of mine in williams lake has a rock just like that in his yard. I thought it was pretty cool till I saw a 120v outlet in it!

Interesting to see a real one. Curious how they are formed now, must've been eroded in a river, then plucked and carried there by glacier?

Great read and photos WF!! Good on you for taking the right animal!! And great to see the new rifle bringin in the table fare!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    I tried a cpl more for dinner and it was still pretty tinny, probably from the trauma the poor bugger went through,

View from the front deck of our cabin,

My great Nephew out for a stroll with me

We came across this odd looking rock after glassing six bedded does.

Such a great mule deer area...still some decent genetics up there...good on yah for taking that guy out.

Quote Originally Posted by Getbent View Post
    Such a great mule deer area...still some decent genetics up there...good on yah for taking that guy out.
    Im going to respectfully disagree with "still some decent genetics up there"

Ive hunted that area for almost 40 years and the class of Antlers is very disappointing as of late, I rarely shoot a deer as Im looking for something big that takes your breath away, and Im just not seeing them....

three years ago I passed up a very clean typical that would have scored 160 and thats the biggest buck Ive seen in several years in this area, maybe Im getting old but any four points Im seeing are very young deer and small basket four points, the 4 pt from this thread is the biggest one I seen during legal hunting time this year and I probably hunted about 5 weeks between Oct/Nov/Dec, I did see a bigger one on the road at night...... a bit disappointing as far as antlers go.......but I still love hunting for them.

But are you seeing mature bucks, to blame their lack of antler on genetics?

Maybe just arent reaching 4-5+ years of age to grow into their potential

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    But are you seeing mature bucks, to blame their lack of antler on genetics?

Maybe just arent reaching 4-5+ years of age to grow into their potential
    Yes this is exactly what Im thinking theyre not making it in age to grow antlers to their potential, in the end it doesn’t matter as long as does are being bred and fawn recruitment is good and we have good buck to doe ratios it’s not an issue only a personal dilemma !!!
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 01-21-2021 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherby Fan View Post
    Yes this is exactly what Im thinking theyre not making it in age to grow antlers to their potential, in the end it doesn’t matter as long as does are being bred and fawn recruitment is good and we have good buck to doe ratios it’s not an issue only a personal dilemma !!!
    But then it isnt necessarily an issue of genetics? The genetics might still be there.