Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Maps - where do you buy them?

Paper Maps - where do you buy them?

For all of you using paper maps - where do you buy yours? I know there was a dedicated shop in Vancouver but that I believe has closed, now with Covid.... any online resources you can recommend? Looking for BC TOPO maps, 1:50K to 1:100K, ideally shaded, ideally with FSRs, etc - you know what is needed.
    Please don't suggest "buy the backroads mapbook", too small of a scale for what I am looking for.

Any suggestion welcome!

Thanks in advance

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Paper Maps - where do you buy them?

your local gov't office has those big printers and would likely be able to print something like that out easily. I'd expect a charge though to cover time/ink but should be reasonable.

International Travel Maps …

Booksto

12300 Bridgeport Rd, Richmond BC V6V 1J5 · ~8.8 km

604-273-1400

But be aware, most topo maps are way way out of date regarding forest service roads. You have to kind of know where you are and figure out the roads yourself from water courses and topo features. And GPS if you have one of course.

I haven't bought one for quite a few years now, but as an example, one I bought in 1990 or so was printed in 1976 from data last compiled in 1970.

Would Rather Be Fishing ! Just to clarify are you saying the Backroads Mapbook is not detailed enough ? If so they can blow up any page in the book plus I think they do custom stuff . Try calling them , they have an office in Coquitlam
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    For all of you using paper maps - where do you buy yours? I know there was a dedicated shop in Vancouver but that I believe has closed, now with Covid.... any online resources you can recommend? Looking for BC TOPO maps, 1:50K to 1:100K, ideally shaded, ideally with FSRs, etc - you know what is needed.
    Please don't suggest "buy the backroads mapbook", too small of a scale for what I am looking for.

Any suggestion welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Backroads mapbooks sells large (like 36"x36") fold out paper ones with scales 1:50k to 1:65k.

Another option is the Gaia GPS app.

Re MichaelID: Oh look at that, that's the one I was referring to that used to be on Broadway, seems like they moved. If I ever make it out to Richmond I will drop by....

Re Ron.C: Yeah I tried those a few years ago but, at least at the time, they were very simplistic and didn't have basic features such as shading, etc.

Re Arctic Lake & Mikeman20: THANKS! Great suggestion. I should have been more clear: It's the scale of the book that I don't like, not the level of detail. It actually turns out that they have dedicated hunting map packages by MU. Of course the ones I want they don't have listed, HOWEVER - turns out they can print whatever you like on demand, not even that expensive. Love it, thanks!!! Order placed.....

Around the world maps on 600 block columbia street is where I have bought topo maps.

If you're ever on the island Nanaimo Maps and Charts has an excellent selection they're in the heart of down town on Church st
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this