Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots

Boots

Hi, been checking out your forum for a while now and finally decided to take the plunge. I enjoy the varied points of view on the numerous topics discussed and find the information entertaining and informative, which brings me to my question. Been curious as to what your preferences for boots were for general purpose hunting. In particular I am intrested in the type of soles, how noisy, quiet or traction/tread patterns that you may prefer. The reason I ask is that I have a set of Meindl boots and although I find the boot to be impressive in a wide variety of terrains I do find them noisy when walking on logging roads and am considering to have them resoled. Any suggestions?

2. Site Sponsor

I bought a pair of Daffo boots last year with vibram soles, so far they have been great, they are fully weather proof/light and have aggressive traction. I was looking at a pair of Irishsetters but they werent as comf. & they cost about $120 more. Welcome to the site!
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Thanks for the welcome Dewy. Looking foward to some interesting discussions. Those vibram soles you speak of how quiet do you think they are, or have you noticed any appreciable noise when walking on loose sand and gravel. Been thinking that I need to change something soon as my hunting partner looks at me kinda weird from time to time when we are approaching our quarry from the road. Just don't wanna become a hood ornament any time soon! Or worse, tied to a tree with my unmentionables wrapped around my boots!

Not to sure about loose sand, Ibought the boots during the season and what walking I did they seemed to be more than ok, they are light enough to wear all day & not notice them, good luck in your search.
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

for queit and walking down logging rds. i wear my high top sneakers. Wow! miendels hey so ya like quality. I suggest you look up Shnees boots and consider the crepe sole . quieter but you loose the durability and the harder hikin ability, I really like thier modified air bob sole. Anyways if ya wanna spend $150 or more for a pair of quiet take a look, they make sorrels look and feel like crap. my .02
    Only stupid people are never wrong.

I hunt in a pair of Red wing, Iriish Setters. Fit like slippers, they have a red wing version of the Vibrim sole, as the pattent ran out on Vibrim soles and as such the boots are now under $200 as opposed to around $350 a couple of years ago. As far a quite I have to say ther're pretty good, the rocks underfoot make more noise than the boots.

Welcome, you'll like it here!!!!!!!!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

i alwasy just wear my shoes or a cheap pair of hiking boots from the local sanns store...i want a good pair of hunting boots but i m to rough on shoes and boots and its hard to find comfortalbe ones that i like....welcome to hbc...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Nike

I use a pair of nike hiking boots, bought them 4 or 5 years ago, they are goretex reasonably high on the ankle, completely waterproof and absolutely the best pair of boots I have ever owned, I can wear them all day and my feet never feel sore , they are also really light and my legs don't feel like lead at the end of the day. I had to specially order them through a sports store, and I am not sure if they are still available but if you can get a pair they are well worth it.
    It aint easy being green

Thanks for the info. Will have to check out the Vibram soles, they may be just the thing i am looking for. The other boots you discussed seeemed intresting too. Maybe a second pair to meet the conditions I encounter in the early dry part of the season may be a better solution then playing around with the ones I have. Something to think about. Thanks again for the suggestions.

boots

steeleco [quote="steeleco"]I hunt in a pair of Red wing, Irish Setters.

I went looking for boots the other day and the Irish setters I found had the molded soles. Has anyone had any good/bad experience with these, [molded soles] I'm a bit Leary about them as I hunt in some tough terrain at times. Thanks BCKID
    Stay between the ditches/I like my TRUCK
    Once you hit 50 you don't have to justify anything you want to buy!!