Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget tent with heat?

Budget tent with heat?

Any budget options out there for camping at the truck? I have a couple cheap princess auto wood stoves that have never been used but the tent part might be more expensive.

I'm also saving for a Seek outside tipi and titanium stove for backpacking trips but something cheaper for truck camping would be nice. I think there's a higher risk of stuff getting stolen when you are camping at the truck so I don't want to set up a lightweight expensive tent right at the truck.

What tent are you using that's cheap but would work for truck camping with a wood stove?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Budget tent with heat?

I've got a SO Cimmaron with the Lite Outdoors stove. The tent was very expensive, and if I was buying another now I'd be looking hard at the Lite Outdoors tents. They just released a slightly smaller tent from the Plateau called the Isola 4 that should compare to the Cimmaron, but much less expensive.

The budget option is to buy the stove jack material from Lite Outdoors and just sew it into whatever tent you want. If you're truck camping, why not save the hassle and just use a catalytic propane heater?

I already have the cheap stoves so I wouldn’t have to buy the heater part.
    I having a hard time picking between the Cimarron or the LBO and vestibule. I’ll probably end up with the LBO because you can ad the middle tarp and fit the whole family
    Last edited by KBC; 10-25-2020 at 12:34 PM.

I have the Silex from SO and the 12’’ cylinder stove from Light Outdoor. It worked really well for backpacking and it is their most economical option. The Silex is great for 1 hunter and you don’t need to order the Cuban fibre version.

Also, if you sleep near the truck, is it not possible to sleep inside your truck with some adjustments ? I have done it for years in November for mule deer hunts. You can run the heater while you cook diner and dry your gear before going to bed.

cheers

I used to sleep in the back of my Xterra with the seats folded down. It was great, I could reach over and start it in the mornings and warm it up. Now I have a half ton chevy grocery getter and I can't sleep as comfortably on the front passenger seat with it down. A cheap tent that can handle a wood stove would be more comfortable.

I use a Cabela’s Outback Guide tent 10’x10’ for camping when I don’t have to carry it. It’s great for going in float planes and river boats. I sewed in a stove jack and cut out the floor. We have used a collapsible wood stove that I made and this year on a caribou hunt we used a diesel heater.

We have a wood frame with tin roof and tarps for walls, collapses into a neat pile to load in the truck box or up on the boat rack
    Folding bents are 5' long, 1by strapping is screwed together for the frame, roofing tin is 5' also
    Makes up 5' walls, over 8' at the peak, ~9' wide. Can be made as long as needed, just screw together more bents
    ~9x12 for early season, ~9x16 with a stove, ~9x24 for company
    It was less than $100 to start
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

From what I've seen you can basically use any tent as long as your willing an able to cut a hole and sew a stove jack onto the tent.

Some used wall tents on Kijiji for not much money.

Got any pics? Sounds pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    We have a wood frame with tin roof and tarps for walls, collapses into a neat pile to load in the truck box or up on the boat rack
    Folding bents are 5' long, 1by strapping is screwed together for the frame, roofing tin is 5' also
    Makes up 5' walls, over 8' at the peak, ~9' wide. Can be made as long as needed, just screw together more bents
    ~9x12 for early season, ~9x16 with a stove, ~9x24 for company
    It was less than $100 to start