Thread: Waited a long time to get a stud (for me) mallard like this

Hybrid View

Waited a long time to get a stud (for me) mallard like this

With the help of a friend with a boat I was able to get a stud (for me) mallard that I marveled at. I've gotten greenheads before but usually early season at Brunswick in Ladner but yesterday was taken around the Fraser islands and got this guy. It was pretty slow most of the day so we pulled up stakes on one of islands and explored, trying to float up on small flocks who were in the channels. Near the end we went back to Wellington only having potted a buffie when we unintentionally scared up a flock of thirty on the island just opposite the launch. BOOM BOOM .. I was so excited I only got the one. We went back for it and landed. It took me a while to find it and when I lifted it up - holy - I just held the guy in my hands and felt its weight.

At home I weighed him. 1.5 kg / 3.3lbs. Definitely one of the biggest ducks I'd downed myself. Now I want more .. and the season is almost over

On another note: we also picked up a huge amount of garbage and took it back to the launch. Someone's cooler, a PFD, flip flops, so many cans and bottles ... this spring there will be an organized clean up for sure and I will return on a boat. I'm not surprised but it was not a nice look to be trying to find a bird in a soup of garbage.
    Last edited by silveragent; 01-11-2021 at 04:05 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Waited a long time to get a stud (for me) mallard like this

He's a big beauty bird for sure!!!

Good job on the garbage. Probaly little to no reason eveyone of us cant do the same every time we are out.

Nice greenhead. I shots lots big fat greenies this past season. I get the guys I shoot with to make sure they pickup their empty shell hulls and if they see the wads they must pick them up. Also, any garbage they see.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

Ron I always have a garbage bag with me. I know I've inadvertently left behind hulls so always pick up any I come across hoping someone will do the same for me.

Yup, picking up all hulls is the minimum that waterfowl hunters need to clean up,,,,and of course anything else they bring out with them. The same goes with fishermen and their terminal tackle. Can't tell you how much line and hooks, many of them STILL barbed, I see laying on the rivers.

And if I had a dollar for every Tim Hortons cup I've seen discarded on the shoreline it would have paid for a nice collapsible A frame duck blind by now.

Congrats on the BIG mallard! Getting it mounted,,,,or has it already hit the dinner plate?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Getting it mounted,,,,or has it already hit the dinner plate?
    The thought occurred to me to get it mounted but I don't need another hobby I don't have space for. So I've just taken my pictures and will carve him up tomorrow.

Congrats, nice one! I definitely shot some giant drakes this season also.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

That is a beautiful greehead,thanks for sharing