Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winery / upland bird hunting trip

Winery / upland bird hunting trip

I'm getting engaged and as part of the deal my fiancee wants to celebrate by doing a trip - if COVID permits. I thought it would be nice to do a combination winery trip + low key walking around the hills somewhere doing some upland hunting, then when it gets too hot clean up and hit the wineries. I've never done any upland birding just waterfowling. What do you think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Winery / upland bird hunting trip

Congrats!!! A girl who is up for a combo like that is a keeper! Since you are talking about "hot" I assume you are talking later in the year, and I am sure you are going to check regs and allowable zones, etc for the time, but this sounds like a perfect combo for the Okanagan. Every single time I went to visit the wineries, regardless where I went, into the hills, there are a ton of Quail, grouse, etc (and the occasional rattle snake, just saying!).
    Of course, I went hiking and saw a TON of birds, which means as soon as you take a shot gun you likely see zip, but... that's where the wineries come in.

Good luck and congrats again

Oh one more: A few people I know went for wine tours towards the tail end of last year, and it appears the wineries made some pretty cool Covid compliant setups. They had nothing but good things to say!

Some of the best wineries in the province are near some of the best upland bird hunting as well, with that being said, you're going to want a trained dog(you may already have one, not sure).
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Hey why??? The Fiancee need to do SOMEthing??? May as well give her a proper introduction into hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Some of the best wineries in the province are near some of the best upland bird hunting as well, with that being said, you're going to want a trained dog(you may already have one, not sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Hey why??? The Fiancee need to do SOMEthing??? May as well give her a proper introduction into hunting?
    Haha, that's a good one... if he wants it to work out long term, the dog will be a better option. At least the dog won't cry and bitch when there's a few cactus stuck around the mouth
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

So true... I will abstain from making comments on how dogs in so many ways make better partners, as this will undoubtedly hijack the thread and pull it deep down into the gutter.

So... back on topic: Okanagan! Have fun, bring a bicycle for those wineries, way better than cars, and brushproof pants for both of you for the hikes

No dog but good tip about having proper pants and watching out for rattlesnakes. I've only seen one my entire life and sometimes forget that wildlife can be dangerous for you and not vice versa.

Yes I had Okanagan definitely in mind. Not sure about timing and what would be in season during good winery season. Last time I went to Osoyoos I saw so much quail - in town mind you - my trigger finger started twitching.

Fiancee still hasn't sent in her for her PAL license for no good reason.

Having lived in the south Okanagan long while back, I can attest to the occasional rattle snake. However, my bigger concern is for the retriever. You see, that area has a abundance Canadian prickly pear cactus. The spines are long and sharp and have no trouble penetrating leather boots and rubber boots too. I have seen dogs with the cactus stuck in the feet and to a lesser extent the legs and body. They are not easily removed from a dog paw and if broken off will work their way in much deeper and could result in a trip to the vet for removal. If your dog is experienced in this type of field, fine, take him. If not leave him at home. Long hair dogs fair better.
    And the irony is that chukar, quail, pheasants and doves seem to know the prickly protection afforded.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Congrats!!! A girl who is up for a combo like that is a keeper! .

Good luck and congrats again
    Who said its a girl?