Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting sleeping bags

Re: Sheep hunting sleeping bags

I use the kuiu -9 bag as well. Its great but its warm in August and its fairly tight. it weighs 23 oz. I have been researching quilts as I am a restless side sleeper. Looking at Enlightened equipment and Underground equipment. Curious to see what others say about quilts.

I have a Western Mountaineering Ultralite, it weighs under 2lbs and is rated to -7C but I camped in -15C with it while wearing extra layers for comfort.
    The only issue is it is a narrower bag, so if you're on the hefty side it may be a challenge.

Have the antelope GWR -15c
    had it to -20c no prob!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Little trick we use sheep hunting when using lite bags. if the weather turns colder than expected which is often the case even in August wrap sleeping bag in a tarp this will keep more heat trapped. by as much as several degrees.

I hate being constricted by a mummy bag so I'm using a Montbell UL Super Spiral Down Hugger -18C combined with a quality pad like a Neo Air X-therm.

Buy a WM Exremelite in whatever size fits you and rock on. I had an Alpinlite, bit too tight for my Neanderthal build so went to a Terralite and am happy with this. avoid GT and other such shells in this bag.

My first sheep hunt was with a heavy synthetic mummy probably 6lbs+. Then upgraded to an Asolo Down mummy -9C bag for a few more trips. The bag is probably 15 years old and still used by one of my sons. Then used a Marmot Helium for at least 10 years of sheep hunting and it’s a great bag. It’s the older 3/4 zip version so can be a little restrictive getting in and out of. My last two years of sheep hunting I’ve used a UGQ Bandit Quilt -18C and I really like it so far.

I have used a Taiga Works sleeping bag over the last 20+ yrs. and have been very pleased with it. Not a Western mountaineering bag, but good quality at less than half the price. Worth a look.

I just had my taiga cloud 9 out on its first winter camp. A quality bag for sure and well priced

[QUOTE=264mag;2224416]
    Quote Originally Posted by tdot View Post
    If you're settled on WM then there aren't any wrong answers. Though I'd suggest staying away from the Gore Windstopper range, it can work, but limits the versatility of the bag, IMO.

If you want as light as possible, look at the Extreme Lite Series, otherwise MicroFiber series. Then choose temp rating and if you want a mummy or more room.

I think the Alpinlite is awesome. A touch warm for me, so I've moved 100% to a down quilt that can be zipped into a bag, best of both worlds.[/QU

Which quilt did you with?
    I have a Nunatak down 30 deg f quilt. I can either layer up if I think I'll be cold. Though have been comfortable when temps were just freezing. I can also add an Apex 40 deg over quilt, if I am well into freezing temps. Makes for a versatile, light system with redundancy. Probably wont go back to a sleeping bag unless I was consistently in -10 to -15 and lower. Which I just don't camp in anymore.